In 2050 a movie is made about you...NYU Supplement Prompt!

kat_1314 1 / -  
In the year 2050, a movie is being made of your life. Please tell us the name of your movie and briefly summarize the story line.

"Change," is about a Chinese Immigrant Woman who came to the US for a successful life. However, instead of the happiness she envisioned, her life was filled with struggles, with herself, with her peers, and her family. The life that everyone in China dreams of having, to live in US, a place of freedom was not a place she wants. This film shows the journey that an immigrant goes through in order to find herself, and offers different perspectives along the way.

* If you had the opportunity to spend one day in New York City with a famous New Yorker, who would it be and what would you do? (Your New Yorker can be anyone -past or present, fictional or nonfictional - who is commonly associated with New York City; they do not necessarily have to have been born and raised in New York.

I want to meet Jhumpa Lahiri. Instead of taking her to Central Park or Times Square, I would take her to Ellis Island: the main entry for immigrants entering the US. Reading her biography there are so many questions I want to ask her. Being born with a Chinese name is the same as having an Indian name, the embarrassment and stares received from others is the same. The main question I have is how she overcame her identity struggles. Instead the answer to success, I want the formula for it. I want her to teach me the process I have to go through, give me directions where I can follow and find myself.

In addition to any work experience that you listed on your application, please tell us how you spent your most recent summer vacation.
This past summer I spend a week in Harvard University participating in a program called College Preview. One of my favorite workshops during that week was on Voice, taught by not professors, but by my peers. Speaking is not my strongest skill; I'm afraid of making mistakes. People whom I thought had great speaking skills admitted their fears of public speaking that day. I know everyone feels insecure sometimes: however it felt real when the words are actually spoke out loud. To speak, to voice out my opinion is my goal. I want to have a voice.

Please tell us what led you to select your anticipated academic program and/or NYU school/college, and what interests you most about your intended discipline.

I have no idea what I want to major in. Growing up I always felt like I have to major in pharmacy or medicine because that is what my parent wants. With minimum amount of work and a good pay check who would refuse. However, that is not what interests me; I cannot imagine myself ten year from now behind counter giving out prescriptions. New York City is my vehicle out, with its known diversity and endless opportunities; I believe the College of Arts and Science will lead me to my future career, into whatever field I choose. Instead of rushing into a major, I want to experience first, and then decide.
gumdrop41 6 / 30  
"Change," is about a Chinese <-- remove the comma after change

her life was filled struggles against her peers,her family, and herself.

Reading her biography there are so many questions I want to ask her - maybe change to "after reading her biography, I have so many questions

For the part about "being born with a chinese/indian name," I think you should either delete that or change it, because you imply that anyone with foreign names (such as myself) would definitely be harassed

I like your ending to that prompt

Best of luck!
Please give some feedback on my essays!
spacerelay 3 / 19  
You have great ideas!

A minor change however:
With minimum amount of work and a good pay check who would refuse?

I cannot imagine myself ten years from now behind counter giving out prescriptions.

do you mind looking at mine?

Thanks :)

Home / Undergraduate / In 2050 a movie is made about you...NYU Supplement Prompt!