Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

My essay about moving to america for PSEO

xmyrax 1 / -  
Please help me edit and give some feedback? Please & thanks!

My family members crying and hugging me and, playing with Legos on the airplane; that's all I remember from that day, almost 12 years ago. Being only four years old, I didn't realize how significant it was for me to move to America from my birthplace of Kiev, Ukraine. I didn't know about all the doors that have opened in front of me. I never knew how different the future would be for me and my family. Looking back I now realize this is the most significant thing that's happened to me thus far.

I still recall fragments of my life in Ukraine. What really stands out to me is the memory of the tiny studio apartment that my grandma, my mom, and I all lived in. In one room we had a couch that folded out into a bed with a cot. This room functioned as both the living room and bedroom. Around the corner was the kitchen and right next to it, the bathroom. The entire apartment is about the size of an average master bedroom. Even though there are those few wealthy individuals, this is the way most people in Ukraine live. Poverty in Ukraine is very hard to get out of. Hard work and perseverance are not enough, one either has to be born wealthy or marry someone who is.

My aunt, who is 21 years old and lives in Ukraine, is currently going through the struggle of trying to get a higher education in order to improve her lifestyle. She always tells me how lucky I am to have the opportunity of going to school in America. The schooling system is very different there than it is here. Those whose parents can't afford to pay for schooling are basically out of luck. The government doesn't issue loans or grants for university, very few opportunities are available for part-time students and, having a job while going to school is nearly impossible. Therefore if one's parents cannot afford to pay for their entire schooling that person is forced not to continue their education and opt for a minimum wage job. Even though my grandfather has worked hard to pay for my aunts 4 years of schooling, it's going to be difficult for her to find a job. Her degree in economics won't open as many doors as it would here.

Now being 16 I am ready to make big steps towards developing my career and, going to college. I truly know that I can do whatever I set my mind to. I have opportunities that others in different countries don't have and, I've made a promise to myself that I will not take anything for granted. I know that if I take advantage of all the options I have and if I push myself to get the best education, I can better my own lifestyle as well as my family's. Moving to America is the most significant event in my life and I will be forever thankful to my mom for making the decision to do so.

Home / Undergraduate / My essay about moving to america for PSEO