After moving, I hated my new life; Florida State University Essay

hannahlynnronk 1 / -  
Growing up, I lived in Liberty, Utah, a place located way up high in the Rocky Mountains, and in the interesting middle-of-nowhere. What I enjoyed most about growing up there was taking walks through the beautiful nature trails in the spring and summer. I'd walk down the quiet, unpaved road near my house, surrounded by a tunnel of green wood, until I reached a rusty gate that led to the hiking paths. That was my favorite spot, because I could sit under the trees and listen to the waterfall that echoed off the mountains. It was my place of tranquility, where I could be with my friends, or go alone and simply daydream. This was my own little world that I didn't care to expand upon. When I turned thirteen, this came to an end when my parents told me we were moving to South Carolina.

After moving, I hated my new life. I had a difficult time making friends and adapting to a suburban lifestyle, and typical southern culture consisting of comfort food, country accents, and lots of sweet tea. I missed my old friends, my old school, and most of all, my favorite spot in the mountains that I used to call my own. It was a new experience that I wasn't mentally prepared for. But as time passed, my eyes opened a lot. I noticed how insanely different people and places could be from one another. Moving to South Carolina was a huge turning point in my life that made me become a stronger, wiser, more insightful person. Although I'm grateful for the experience of living in the mountains, I do enjoy being able to go to the store in five minutes rather than thirty. After experiencing two very different lifestyles and seeing the world from a different perspective, I began to learn I gained an understanding for about global awareness.

Global awareness has become important to me, because I believe that if more people could see the world through others' perspectives, we would be more united as a human race. I think being aware of and understanding the differences and similarities between us would breed tolerance instead of hatred. One reason Florida State University stands out to me is the massive amount of study abroad opportunities that are offered. Study abroad is an excellent way to learn about other cultures, and experience life as others live it. I think FSU could help me on my journey to becoming more globally aware through these amazing study abroad programs and the diversity of the student body. Listening to other peoples' stories from different places and backgrounds is a simple way to expand one's global awareness, and create lifelong friendships. Frank Herbert once said, "Without new experiences, something inside of us sleeps. The sleeper must be awoken." New experiences are how we grow, and hopefully on my journey through life and becoming more globally aware, I can discover more of the world's endless possibilities.
Hi hannahlynnronk
Make sure that you include your prompt in the thread so that we can give you better feed backs. Without knowing what exactly the prompt asks, it's difficult to align our comments with the prompt : (

However, your writing is excellent! Lovely flow; excellent vocabulary and everything : )

Good Luck!

Home / Undergraduate / After moving, I hated my new life; Florida State University Essay