"Mowing the Lawn!" - Common App Short Answer

Izzy615 2 / 2  
I'm applying Early Action by the end of the night and any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for all the help! Also does this satisfy the essay prompt? I'm at 147 words so I have 3 to work with.

Please briefly elaborate on one of your extracurricular activities or work experiences in the space below (150 words or fewer).
---------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------

Long crisp lines of alternating greens pattern the lawn across the street from my house. I graciously sip a glass of ice cold lemonade from inside the air conditioned haven I call my home. After surveying my work for quite a while something catches my eye. A stray patch of grass rests in the middle of the lawn. Who's going to notice? Nobody lives there anymore and by the time the owner checks in it will be grown back! However, I am not at peace of mind. I break out the weed whacker from the garage and rev it up, quickly dispatching with the disturbance. As I begin walking home I turn back and smile. Taking pride in work is something I find great joy in. Nothing beats that feeling of knowing you did something to the best of your abilities, even when you didn't have to.
littlechef 10 / 33  
I took tremendous pleasure in reading this piece. It was quite entertaining.
Your descriptions are well-executed, but perhaps you could spare a few words on how you may have grown from it, what you have learned, etc.

Otherwise, I applaud your writing. :)
Wow, I wish I had your enthusiasm! I never mow the lawn, and sometimes I don't even shave my face!
:-)

I graciously sip ----I don't think graciously is the right word here.

You wrote this with a nice flowing rhythm, and it seems like the relaxed writing style reflects your relaxed personality.

However, I think this can be better if you make mowing the lawn become a metaphor for something... something of profound meaning. Or you can make mowing the lawn symbolize your philosophy of life.

:-)

Home / Undergraduate / "Mowing the Lawn!" - Common App Short Answer