MUN or Travelling experience - Why Columbia? - Which version is better?

engdetective 6 / 24  
Hello to everyone,

These are two versions of the same question that is part of Columbia's Supplement : Why Columbia? Which one do you think would do a better impression and would provide with a stronger motivation for choosing Columbia.

Corrections and constructive criticism are welcome :)

First Version:

For the first time in my life, I was flying away from Albania. A 7 year old child, crossing the oceanic border that divided my country from the powerful continent. The US seemed so far away and the culture so contrasting to mine that I still hold a distinct impression of towers that penetrated the sky of New York and the fairytale atmosphere of Walt Disney. But, what I remember even more clearly is the statue of a woman holding a book in her lap, arms open and inviting, in front of an imposing white building that was so close and yet so different from the steel that made the Big Apple. Growing up, I knew that my future lay in academic pursuit and I found in my memories a place to start from : Columbia University. The picturesque view, its location just a few minutes from the headquarters of the United Nations, its academic program that incorporates an eclectic education, while never making me chose between my passion for Economics and talent for Politics incorporated everything I was looking for in an institution where I would spend at least 4 years of my life. In a place where international meets the traditional, I found the right balance to prepare for a future career in the International Domain.

Second Version

From my early childhood, I had always known that my future lay in academic pursuit, and upon entering high school I started my search for the place that would fulfil my expectations and prepare me for an upcoming career. To me, finding a university that would incorporate an eclectic education, while never making me chose between my passion for Economics and talent for Politics seemed an impossible deed. A dilemma and an unanswered question, whose answer I found only during my participation at the Model United Nations, where I met a person that much influenced my line of thought : Tienmu, a piece corps volunteer and a former student at Columbia University. Following his advice and doing some personal research of my own, I found out that Columbia did not only encompass the above-mentioned elements that make for an excellent academic environment , but at the same time provided with advantages I had never before considered; starting from its position : it located is but a few minutes from the institution I aspire to work with in the future, the United Nations Headquarters. And above all it offers me the chance to explore a cosmopolitan environment and follow part of my studies at prestigious universities abroad consequently shaping my mind and preparing me for a future in the International domain.
iceui2 - / 70  
Both are very nice written, so you can't go wrong with either one. I would go with the 2nd one because it is a bit more specific, since you mentioned meeting a former student of Columbia. To make the essay even better, you should incorporate even more details about Columbia and why it's the right place for you (e.g. academic programs). Good luck!
albicelestes - / 4  
Well done!!!
I prefer the first one though. MUN's just so cliche.
OP engdetective 6 / 24  
Thank you very much, both of you :)

Home / Undergraduate / MUN or Travelling experience - Why Columbia? - Which version is better?