'Music based on Math' - Stanford essay: intellectually engaging experience

lonestranger 1 / 1  
here goes nothing->

In the words of the great Leibniz
"May not music be described as mathematics of the sense, mathematics as music of the reason?"
Mathematics and music, the most sharply contrasted fields of scientific activity that can be found, are yet fundamentally related at their core. Both are avenues through which human creativity reaches its zenith, and a true expression of the human spirit emerges. My experience working with Fibonacci sequences and Fourier transformations in music was a breathtaking ride into the intricacies and underlying complexities of the world of music. It was a completely new approach and viewpoint to look at the sounds that we hear every day and how these sounds are transformed into the notes, tones and rhythms that make everlasting music. The idea of trying to connect math and music came to me one day when I was learning music theory, and observed the simple math involved in the intervals, octaves and chords. It seemed more than just a mere coincidence that everything musical at a fundamental level seemed to follow a basic mathematical framework, and hence, I decided to delve deeper into the roots of music. I combined notes produced by the Fibonacci sequence over different scales, and out came a beautiful melody ready to take stage. I then extracted the individual tones produced and converted them to the mathematical form of waves, using the idea of Fourier series. Once all the equations were produced, I could create new and beautiful tones and sounds straight from the waves which are the true architects of music as we perceive it. It was an immensely gratifying feeling, to be able to relate two of the most important things in my life and produce a new sound, a new music, based on math.
This caught me at a time when I was not in a hurry, and I could really enjoy the experience you provided with your writing. Drumming forth, you write with rhythm, carrying me along.

I think maybe you can improve it by using paragraphs! You write with rhythm, so now use paragraphs to lead the reader along.

You can keep the rhythm, but also approach composition in that methodical way that shows how smart you are: Say your main point, explain it, and then say it again. Admissions essays are expected to be a bit formal, usually. So... paragraph it up! Give it some structure.

Can't wait to see what excellent stuff you'll create, you write with rhythm.
tsunami 1 / 17  
This is a very good essay. I love music too! I like how you intertwine math and music, its as if they are inseparable, as if one could not survive without the other; and that I believe to be true. This aspect of music is in fact fundamental; actually my mother, a physics professor, has always done better at recognizing time signatures that I have, and I attribute this to her superb math skills. I tend to look at music with a Literature/Language perspective however, as I dig into the profundity of a musical composition and try to fathom its meaning in words, to describe the ineffable perhaps... Thank you for posting such a great essay!
OP lonestranger 1 / 1  
Thanks a lot for the responses guys....I'm gonna structure it a bit more and come back with a new, improved version...
Till then.
cheers

Home / Undergraduate / 'Music based on Math' - Stanford essay: intellectually engaging experience