Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

'Music and Drumming' - LAST SECOND ESSAY FOR UIUC

jinglethetingle 4 / 4  
1. In no more than 300 words, tell us something about yourself that isn't covered elsewhere in this application, some interest or experience of yours that you think the University of Illinois should know about as part of the admissions review.

One-and-uh, two-and-uh, three-and-uh, four-and-uh, one-and-uh. These words are a broken record in my mind. I would easily get distracted by the tick tick ticking of the clock in my room as my hands and feet would begin tap tap tapping to the rhythm. My head would bob, and all I would be able to think is one-and-uh two-and-uh.

Music has had a positive influence in my life. I picked up my first sticks when I was in the 6th grade, and drumming became an instant obsession. When I entered junior high, I immediately joined as many bands the school offered. I enjoyed learning how to read music, understanding theory, and playing the great compositions of past conductors. I learned how to play all types of music, ranging from a smooth jazz to a fast paced rock anthem.

When I graduated from junior high, I bolstered my drumming vocabulary by taking private lessons with bay area great, Wally Schnalle. Wally taught me the intricacies of drumming, and with him I performed a number of times in front of live audiences with his band and other well reputed musicians. I created a band with my friends, and we participated in many benefit concerts.

Drumming is one of my favorite and longest lasting hobby. Every afternoon when I come home I will sit on my stool, put my earphones on, and just play. I visualize myself in front of a stadium filled with thousands of people listening to the rhythm I am making. And everyone's head is bob bob bobbing.

Home / Undergraduate / 'Music and Drumming' - LAST SECOND ESSAY FOR UIUC