Music has always been important in my family; NYU Transfer: Academic Interests

CherryPac18 10 / 29 1  
A. NYU's global network provides students with hundreds of academic areas of interest for students to cultivate their intellectual curiosity and to help achieve their career goals. Whether you are entirely undecided about your academic plans or you have a definitive program of study in mind, what are your own academic interests? Feel free to share any thoughts on any particular programs or how you might explore those interests at NYU on any of our campuses.

Music has always been important in my family. Upon starting elementary school, my sisters and I were required to play an instrument but I was not fazed by my parent's decision because I always loved the sound of music. It is from this experience that I knew music was my calling. At 7:00 a.m. band meets, my peers would nod off while my coffee induced instructor would try and filter some energy through the room. I on the other hand, operating only on five hours of sleep, was awake as ever with my head high and feet tapping away to the beat. During this time, I was aware of my addiction to music but I was sure I didn't want to play the flute or piano for a living. It was during my years in high school that I became obsessed with Hip Hop. I was exposed to the golden age of Hip Hop and fell in love with true lyricism. I would read books and watch movies in order to hone my own skills and craft. This is when I knew that I wanted to major in recorded music.
formenthos 3 / 20 2  
I'm not a grammar guy, but I believe this is a run on sentence.

Upon starting elementary school, my sisters and I were required to play an instrument but I was not fazed by my parent's decision because I always loved the sound of music.

I would recommend distilling your story down. You want to do hip hop recording, but you mention books and movies, what does that have to do with your interest in hip hop or recording?

I'm just typing my thoughts, but I guess you're trying to show progression, but its very loose. Maybe instead, tell why you like hip-hop recording. Why hip hop and not the piano or flute? You disreguard those two without giving explaination or reflection.

The way I see it, if you include a detail, it needs to go somewhere and get wrapped up or tied to something. If you leave a detail out there, and dont connect the dots, its like the TV show LOST, it becomes filler and we're left wondering at the end, "what was that about"

sorry, I'm kinda harsh sometimes
OP CherryPac18 10 / 29 1  
Thanks very much for the feed back!!

Home / Undergraduate / Music has always been important in my family; NYU Transfer: Academic Interests