The name "Columbia" appeals to me the most; Columbia University- Sup/Most appealing?

ksh940826 1 / 2  
Please tell us what you find most appealing about Columbia and why.
... ...

The name "Columbia" appeals to me the most. I do not know for sure why this is the case, but, somehow, other colleges don't seem so great when put next to Columbia. For example, Brown University is certainly one of the greatest universities in the United States; yet, when compared to Columbia University, its name -- its highly regarded reputation -- shrinks in size before my mind's eyes. Whether I have been brainwashed by my oh-so-highly-expecting parents, I do not know, but surely the name itself is appealing enough for me to choose Columbia University over any other colleges or universities. So many universities and colleges have I heard throughout my life and, yet, only one lingers in my mind: Columbia. I believe that Columbia University will challenge me to become the best intellectual that I could ever possibly be, and seeing myself as a contender, I will gladly accept its challenges, for I know at the end I will overcome.
imbue 6 / 24  
I think I understand the point that you are trying to convey, but I also think that some readers could misinterpret your reasoning. At first glance, it is possible that the reason why you want to attend Columbia is because it sticks in your mind sounds like you haven't done your research, or like you're only applying because your parents want you to. I think this can be summarized by one or two sentences, but you should elaborate on something else that Columbia has that other schools don't; maybe the business schools or the engineering programs, or whatever else has stuck out to you.

Good job overall and good luck!
komalshaheen19 6 / 11 1  
it's very interesting how the name is what you find most appealing, but I would want to know a little more about an event or something that signified "Columbia's" name for you =)

Home / Undergraduate / The name "Columbia" appeals to me the most; Columbia University- Sup/Most appealing?