Name One Song That has influenced you Virginia Tech app essay

pheneger1 1 / -  
Instead of only writing about one song that has influenced me as a person, I will write referring to one musical artist that has, The Beatles. The Beatles have over three hundred songs, consisting of a large variety of genres, styles, and especially meanings behind the compositions. The reason for which this band has influenced me so greatly is that each person who listens to their songs gets their own message from every one of them. The effect this band has on me is that they have helped me keep an open mind. When I enjoy one of their songs, I develop my own conception of what they were symbolizing through the lyrics. I have been exposed to countless individuals and their immensely diverse answers through looking up other people's opinions on the internet.

Let's take the song, "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds" for example. People had several different opinions on the meaning of this song. There have been many debates arguing that this song was just about drugs and getting high. Though this is quite possible, other sources claim that the song was about a drawing that John Lennon's son gave to him. Also, the song, "Let It Be" heavily affects who I am today. However, it is not for the meaning Paul McCartney presented. I disagree with that. He sings that we should just let time go and we will be given an "answer." I think we must thrive in life for the "answer."

It's only supposed to be 250 words. Please help me revise/edit this! thank you
Jennyflower81 - / 690 96  
The reason for which this band has influenced me so greatly is that each person who listens to their songs gets their own message from every one of them.

Maybe say this: The beatles have a signature sound that evokes limitless interpretations, which is why their songs have influenced me greatly.

The effect this band has on me is that they have helped me keep an open mind. When I enjoy one of their songs, I develop my own conception of what they were symbolizing through the lyrics.

Possibly say this: "I have learned to keep an open mind, due to the effect of their songs. I am able to develop personal meaning from the symbolism in the lyrics." I am trying to help you avoid being too "wordy"

"Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds"
The prompt question is asking you to talk about one song- so I think you should focus on this more, expand on the way this song has an effect on you... I think that with some of the things you wrote, you get off track from answering the question fully. Tell the reader why this song is so meaningful to you.

I think we must thrive in life for the "answer."
This is good, but if you can make your final sentence connect to the beginning of your paper that would be best. Begin with "Lucy" end with "Lucy" You can do this! Good luck in school :)

Home / Undergraduate / Name One Song That has influenced you Virginia Tech app essay