Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

Nanotechnology, evolution - on Transfer prompt

skyeatstyler 1 / -  

Nanotechnology Study Potential

Of all the changes that biocultural evolution has brought to our small planet, technology is arguably the most profound. From lithic tools of premodern hominids to the supercomputers we have today, technology has been the driving force behind the advancement of the human species. It has done wonders across all fields, and continues to prove ever more useful with every technological advancement. My lesser educated mind often pondered, "What could possibly be next?" I now know the answer to that question is nanoengineering. I am thoroughly convinced that nanotechnology will shatter our previously held notions of what lies in the realm of possibility; the reason why I have chosen chemical engineering as my major.

At the beginning of my high school career, I saw myself working as an anesthesiologist in some cutting-edge medical facility. Though as I read and learned more about myself, I realized that I would be dissatisfied with committing my life to doing something that multitudes before me had done. I knew I would only be content with being on the absolute forefront of human knowledge, understanding, and technology. This revelation led me to abandon my previous intentions to pursue knowledge and technology that had not yet been developed.

I entrenched myself in scientific literature, focusing primarily on theoretical physics, which seemed a fair place to look for the boundaries of possibility. In my readings, I stumbled across an author that sparked my interest in nanotechnology. Ray Kurzweil's books centered on the rate of change of technological advancement, and what new technologies could possibly enable the projections he made for the future state of human civilization. The mastery of nanotechnology is vital in the continuation of our advancement technologically. So great is the potential of nanotechnology, that failure to develop it would be putting unnecessary limits on what we perceive as possible.

One potential of nanotechnology that I myself am interested in exploring is its use in the medical field. In my experiences volunteering at the local hospital, I realized how infantile our medical methods really are. Although we are on the path to curing many diseases, many more evade our methods and continue to do harm. Two such diseases that have affected my family are cancer and Alzheimer's disease. My great grandmother suffers from Alzheimer's, and many members of my family are suffering from cancer. I believe that work with nanostructures and development in nanorobotics may very possibly lead to curing these diseases. Seeing the effects of these diseases on the people that I love has fortified my goal to play a role in the development of a technology that will help the world and propel the human species into a new realm of understanding.

Home / Undergraduate / Nanotechnology, evolution - on Transfer prompt