Narrative Studies + Baking for USC

rainn17 2 / 2  
Hi! These are short answer questions, each supposed to be about a paragraph. Let me know what you think- and please be honest!

Describe your academic interests and how you plan to pursue them at USC. Please feel free to address your first- and second-choice major selections.

For as long as I can remember I've wanted to tell stories, whether it was through short stories, TV, or through theater. I always believed, though, that in college I would have to give up some of my passions. Therefore, I would have to become a journalism major or a film major, but no matter what I picked I would not get the broad spectrum educational experience I wanted. Then my counselor told me about USC and the Narrative Studies program. That night, I eagerly researched the program. I couldn't believe it; it was exactly what I had been looking for. I wanted a way that I could tell stories, without being told the way in which I could do it. Not only does Narrative Studies provide the flexible program I want, but it teaches students to evolve as media does. Eventually, I'll have to narrow it down and choose which form of media I desire to pursue as my specialty, but the Narrative Studies major would allow me to explore different media first. Maybe I will be a journalist, novelist, radio host, or director, but right now I do not know. However, USC would offer me the chance to figure out the way in which I want to share stories with the world.

Tell us about an activity that is important to you, and why. Please feel free to talk about an activity other than one you may have discussed in your essay.

Baking has always been a very special activity to me. It began that way because it was time my mom and I spent together. As I became more proficient, something about the precision of measuring, shaping, and mixing ingredients became cathartic. It's an incredibly relaxing way to create something with your own two hands. Baking creates something tangible that I can point to and say "I made that." Baking is also a way that I've come to recognize special occasions. When someone's mom has cancer, or it's someone's birthday, I love showing that I care by taking the time to make something just for them. And when people like what I've created, no other feeling in the world compares.
I want to cut some content. I would like it if it was this way:
Therefore I would have to become a journalism major or a film major, but no matter what I picked I would not get the broad spectrum educational experience I wanted. Then my counselor told me about USC and the Narrative Studies program, and when I That night, I eagerly researched the program, I couldn't believe it; it was exactly...

:-)

Baking has always been a very special activity to me. When you finish writing something, always go back to the first sentence and check to see if it is boring. If the first sentence is not interesting, muster some inspiration and restate it in a clever way!

Home / Undergraduate / Narrative Studies + Baking for USC