"Narrow-mindedness" ; "exchange year" Mac "diversity"

maerd2012 5 / 17 1  
THANK U SOOO MUCH!! pls check my grammar and comment on the contentïź:)

Describe a situation where you had to work or closely associate with someone from a background very different from your own. What challenges did you face and how did you resolve them?

With four classmates chatting and cackling along side, I walked down the street of Dresden in Germany, tensing my ears to their conversation. They spoke so fast and unclearly that I could barely catch a few words. Ins Kino? Spielen? Great! I finally knew their topic----movies! But at the same time I realized dejectedly that my thoughts could hardly transform into decent sentences. Remaining almost silent, I knew I was not actually belong to the group. I said to myself in the mind: Learn German!

Language, I thought, was the most significant challenge when I started my exchange year. Mastering the language was the essential key of communicating with the local people effectively, and communication could solve problems, avoid misapprehension and understand cultural difference.

Therefore, I studied diligently and dared to speak in awful German whenever I got chances. Soon I could understand more and express myself clearly. However, I still felt out of the place. My relationship with my peers were superficial and my words could merely interrupt for a second in the group. What did go wrong? I wondered, with an eager heart to merge into the new environment.

Time elapsed and I made some sense of my question: Just because I recognized myself as an exchange student, a foreigner, an outside person subconsciously all the time. I could not blame my German friends regarding me as a "special one" while I saw myself like that. The change of the mind led to the change of actions naturally. I asked my friends not to slow down the word speed specially for me and did not consider the particular help form teachers in the class deserved anymore. I was not the exchange student from the distant East, but the German girl with an Asian face and jet-black hair. Finally, I found the German and the Chinese were not so different as people imagined. They both tried to be nice to foreigners;they were moved by the same emotion;they had the same narrow-mindedness.

After all, we are all human beings. I believe there are no hindrance between people from varied backgrounds which we are not able to conquer, as I have already tried and succeeded at last.
mariaaaa 1 / 19 1  
overall,it is very good:),it shows ur diverse cultural background.
Remaining almost silent, I knew I was not actually belong to the group. ... Try this,

As I remained silent before them, I realized that i was not part of their group.

Therefore, I studied diligently and dared to speak in awful German whenever I gotthechances.

I like your essay, it's very touching.

I hope my suggestions helped. :)
OP maerd2012 5 / 17 1  
Thanks for revising!:)

Home / Undergraduate / "Narrow-mindedness" ; "exchange year" Mac "diversity"