The national quiz show "Kantipur Quiz Whiz." - significant experience or achievement.

upretisr 1 / -  
It was June 2006 when I got to the set of the national quiz show "Kantipur Quiz Whiz." It was Kantipur Television's weekly one hour prime time broadcast program which was considered the biggest general knowledge program in the history of television in Nepal. After going through one year of preliminaries, knock outs and semi-final, that day was the day, the big day, finals. And I, along with my other friend, was representing my school. We were competing with the two biggest schools of Kathmandu valley.

The set was ready, the host was ready. The camera person adjusted the angles of camera; the sound man checked the sound. We were told to adjust our microphones. I shook hands with my competitors wishing them good luck but praying to win. Then came the moment, the host entered the set and the producer shouted "action".

Six of us, two from each school, were bombarded with questions of Current Affairs, History, Geography, Science, Literature and Entertainment. After the first three rounds, our school stood in the last position. The looks on the face of our principal, sitting next to the principals of other two schools, was saddening. Then came the toughest part, the rapid fire round. A team was to answer ten questions within a minute and the question could be from any category. After the first team was asked the questions, the winner was kind of clear. Even if our team or the other team answered all the questions, the first team was the win. Then there was a race for first runner up. We answered all answers of rapid fire round and leveled the score with the other team. Now there was to be a tie-breaker for the first runner up position.

I'd never wanted to be second so bad in my whole life. The thought of hundreds of thousands of people looking at us make me more anxious. The team first buzzers and answers were to be first runner up. Then the tie-breaker question was asked. "Who created the famous fictitious character, James bond?" I instantaneously pressed the buzzer and shouted, "Ian Fleming." I had never been fond of James Bond novel, short stories or even movies but that was the moment where James Bond was my favorite character. The small smile on my principal's face gave me the greatest happiness I could imagine.

This whole experience was of great significance to my learning and my life as well. It taught me how to accept the defeat in one second and fight for achievement in the next. It made me realize the meaning of happiness, the real happiness you gain when you win after fighting. It taught me everything does not come for granted, you have to work hard for it and sometimes working hard is not just enough, you need to work harder.

Just after a month after this event, our team stood first in another nationwide quiz competition organized by Jaycees Nepal beating the same competitor in the finals. Then I realized the former event was of great learning to me. I also learned, life sometimes gives you second chance to overcome the mistakes and it's up to you either you grab the opportunity or for another mistake.
It was June 2006 when I got to the set of was a guest on the national quiz show "Kantipur Quiz Whiz." ---I changed it because it seemed like you were saying it was a particular month when you "got there" ile. arrived there.

We were competing with the two biggest schools of Kathmandu valley. (Right here, at the end of the first para, you might want to add a THESIS STATEMENT that expresses the essay's main idea, main message.

I'd never wanted to be second so bad in my whole life.---great writing here... great, interesting reflection.

Okay, I have to tell you, I think much of this should be cut. You have unnecessary details. The lines you used to tell the specific question that was asked are not necessary. I think you should cut some of the boring detail (yes, it is boring to the reader) and make more room for discussion of this part: "I also learned, life sometimes gives you second chance to overcome the mistakes and it's up to you either you grab the opportunity or for another mistake."

Know what I mean? The reader is more interested in your reflection and self-evaluation. Omit the details that do not help to express the truth/message of the essay. :-)

You write very well!!!

Home / Undergraduate / The national quiz show "Kantipur Quiz Whiz." - significant experience or achievement.