Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

"National Student Leadership Conference" My program (prompt #2)

Chma2 2 / 2  
Hi, my name is Chris and I was hoping for you guys to give me some insight on my personal statements. Thank you :D.

Prompt #2-Tell us about a personal quality, talent, accomplishment, contribution or experience that is important to you. What about this quality or accomplishment makes you proud and how does it relate to the person you are?

In disbelief, I stood-up and everyone was clapping, they were all clapping for me. As I rose I felt the cheers of everyone around me and I was so happy; I felt as if I was dreaming. Over the summer of 2010 I went to NSLC (National Student Leadership Conference). There I was elected as the most valuable team member. I knew I made a lot of friends and connections in the conference, but I never imagined that I would be chosen to represent my team. So when my name was called and everyone was cheering I felt important.

People said that one person is all it takes. Time and time again in my past I always found my contributions to a large group went unnoticed because of their insignificance. So, before going to the conference I had this impression I would just be some nobody and not really get to know anybody in those ten short days.

On the first day of the conference, I went to an auditorium and there was a speaker who enlightened me. He used a series of seriousness and jokes to pass the message that the impression we give to ourselves when we approach activities will determine how satisfying an activity will be. His speech got lodged in my mind and had me reflecting my impressions towards going to the conference and I noticed the impression I had going to NSLC was being meaningless and unworthy to the group. However, his idea of a positive conjecture really dug into my mind and I started to ask myself questions like "How could something be satisfying if I do not let it?" and I noticed the errors in my life so far. I started to see how many things in my past could have been memorable experiences. I knew regret would not get me anywhere, so I decided to follow the speaker's advice and repeat in my head, "This time I want to make a difference and meet a lot of new people."

In the brief ten days, I wanted to make connections and actually be a big part of the team. This really helped me rediscover my outgoing personality and I noticed how a simple positive thought could go a long way. I was already making friends with my roommates and also in my group. Before going to the conference I didn't think I would make a lot of friends, clearly I was wrong. In the program, I accomplished more than just making friends I became a more open person.

On the last day, we went to the auditorium again and had the same speaker talk to us. Before giving us the farewells, he gave us all a minute to sit there and reflect on our days in the program and told us the days were as fulfilling as the effort we put into the conference. I looked back and I felt proud of the contributions I made to the team and the great friendships I made. I was already gleaming from the friends I found in the program, so I was overjoyed for accepting the reward.

I made many friends in the program and I am very proud of myself. This accomplishment helped me prove my errors and rediscover a personality I lost a long time ago. When I was young, I was very outgoing and friendly, so the reward is a reminder of that person who I was and can still be. I am glad I got the award because it also gives me a physical reminder of my triumph over the mistakes I made.

Word Count: 602 (Planning to shorten about ten words)

Home / Undergraduate / "National Student Leadership Conference" My program (prompt #2)