the National Youth Leadership Forum on Medicine - the unique qualities of NU?

Smackugood 1 / -  
What are the unique qualities of NU, and to the specific undergraduate school to which you are applying - that make you want to attend the university? In what ways do you hope to take advantage of the qualities you have identified?

Here is my essay for the Northwestern Supplement (1st Draft), tell me what you think!

Two years ago, I was invited to attend the National Youth Leadership Forum on Medicine in Chicago. I am glad I accepted the offer. Since Northwestern University was hosting the entire Forum, I had access to the Northwestern Memorial Hospital and was able to see many state-of-the-art machines. I was even able to spend a day with one of NU's first year medical students. She was a smiling girl with a slight speech impediment. The impediment didn't matter because what came out of her mouth was years of knowledge. She was the first person who really talked to me about NU. She told me that NU was a place where the possibilities of individual growth and exploration of your interests are there for you to take advantage of. Her impression has never left my mind.

The Weinberg College of Arts and Science offers an innovative "quarter-based curriculum" where I would be allowed to explore different classes like "Molecular Neurobiology" and "Economic Theory and Methods." As a person interested in medicine, I would be able to become prepared for the professional world and have a concrete background in biological sciences as well as learn how to run a business. The diversity that NU has to offer extends beyond the classroom. I am amazed at the different cultural backgrounds and life stories that describe the current and incoming students of NU. As a kid growing up, I learned about my Canadian heritage and gained an appreciation for it while growing up with American culture. At NU, I would be able to expand on my knowledge of culture by being able to meet people with different life experiences than my own. NU makes it easy to meet other people through its variety of clubs. Work in the community has been very important to me throughout my life. As an Eagle Scout, I have worked with organizations directly and have volunteered to make other people's lives better. At NU, I hope to get involved in student-run organizations and clubs that are looking out for people in need. Like the medical student before me, I would hope to get involved in student camps during the summer so I can make that impression on high school students that science is cool and to tell them that the possibilities are there for them to take advantage of. Not only does NU offer clubs, but it also offers something very unique: the opportunity to make someone's summer very special.

I hope to bring my culture and life experiences to NU's campus so that I can join in on its cultural mosaic and to one day even express myself on The Rock. I hope to expand my knowledge of biology and to become prepared for the professional world ahead of me. And I hope to become involved in NU's community so that I can give back for all the wonderful things people have done for me. Back at the medical camp, I still remember the cheerful medical student and have realized what an impression one person can make.
As an Eagle Scout, I have worked with organizations directly, and have volunteered, to make other people's lives better.---It would be cool if you write a little about what you did while volunteering. It would make your essay a little more personal.

Like the medical student before me,---What do you mean by this?--- I would hope to get involved in student camps during the summer so I can make that impression on high school students , that science is cool , and to tell them that...

And I also hope to become involved in NU's community so that I can give back for all the wonderful things people have done for me.

Back at the medical camp, I still remember the cheerful medical student and have realized what an impression one person can make.---'Back at the medical camp' is not the right way to start this sentence...how about something like, 'I'll always remember that cheerful....and the impression she made...'?

Good luck with school. Your essay is well written and well thought out. It shows what an intelligent and motivated person you are!

:)

Home / Undergraduate / the National Youth Leadership Forum on Medicine - the unique qualities of NU?