Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

Navy Nurse Candidate Program; Nursing application essay

mrojas619 1 / -  
I have tweeked it until it no longer makes sense to me! Please help! I need a fresh pair of eyes!
The nursing program is pervasively Christian, emphasizes cross-cultural values and is baccalaureate in preparation.
How do your values, experiences and goals align with the nursing program?
How have your personal experiences prepared you for this program?
What skills and strengths would you bring to nursing?
What personal characteristics might you seek to improve thoughout the nursing program?
It can only be 2 pages long and written in APA format.

Hello, I'm Melanie Rojas. My journey from a small town in Tennessee to traveling around the world twice and my personal walk with Jesus, has led me to the Nursing Program at Northwest University. The Nursing program is where I can combine my faith, my experience working in other cultures and prepare for a career in Nursing and beyond.

Picking one particular subject to write about a moment in my life seemed to be a lot more difficult than I first thought it would be.

I spent twelve years serving our country in the United States Navy. I met my wonderful husband onboard the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower. While on active duty, we had three children together. When I became pregnant with our fourth, we decided that I should stay at home until the children got older. Raising the children with a constant parent at home, seemed to be the right idea. This would give me the time that I needed to go to school as well.

With four children, I spent the entire past year doing homework, reading and studying my college classes. Making sure that each child knew that I was there and that I was watching. I thank God, for allowing me to these things for my children. My husband, Daniel who is currently serving in the United States Navy, has recently returned home from an exhausting eight month deployment onboard the USS Nimitz. The Navy has asked us to move to Washington and so, we are now here.

I can't remember a day that I have gone without faith in my life. As an individual, Christ has held my hand in making the harder decisions in life. In our marriage, Jesus is our marriage counselor. We look to God to when we need help. We don't have the perfect family, the perfect life or the perfect devotion. It's hard to walk the righteous path, but Christ hears me. I talk to him every day and I know that he's there with me. He's with me when I wake up in the morning, brush my teeth, jump in my car to drive to the university and is with me when I walk into chapel. I can feel the goose bumps on my skin when I walk in. When I sing, tears well up in my eyes, I can feel the Holy Spirit getting excited in me. Jesus is with me when I hop back in my car again to go home, to greet my family when they get home and when I lay my head down on my pillow. I know that God is with me and my family and will always have a place for us. I am moving even now on faith, towards nursing school.

Being a mother, a wife, a veteran and a devoted Christ follower has given me the discipline to accomplish my goals. The experience that the U.S. Navy has given me with the ability to give and follow direction, my gift of attention to detail, my compassion and patience to listen to others. In addition, all the training that the Navy has given me has enabled me to think constructively and to hone my skills as a problem solver which is what college is all about.

Throughout my military journey I have experienced different cultures. I have been to Bahrain, the Kingdom of Bahrain. It is the primary base in the region for naval and marine activities in support of Operation Enduring Freedom and formerly Operation Iraqi freedom, until the end of the Iraq War. One of the experiences that impacted my compassion was to see first-hand how women are treated in Bahrain. It made me think about how women in the United States take for granted the freedoms that we have. Traditionally, women had to walk three to five feet behind their husbands. In our culture, this would not happen.

Singapore was beautiful. I took tours around the city. It felt like I could not get enough of their culture. The primary religions in Singapore are Buddhism, Christianity and Islam. Something that shocked me was that corporal punishment is practiced and caning is a common form of punishment. The wounds take between a week and a month to heal and the scars are long-term. Children are subjected to this kind of punishment. It breaks my heart to see this.

Finally, the military alone has its own culture. And then it is subdivided into different branches: Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, and the Navy. On board the USS Nimitz, there were about 5,500 different people. This was so much larger than the population of my hometown. I met so many different people from all over the world serving in the Navy. I worked with people from Peru, Jamaica, Philippines, United Kingdom, Montana, Kentucky, Michigan and many more. We all had different cultures and ideas, but yet we all came together as a family. When we were away from our immediate family, we had each other for support. We became one another's brother and sister.

When I left the U.S. Navy, I was on a mission to better our family. I felt like God was telling me that he had other plans for me. The translatable skills from being a Navy storekeeper to working as a civilian were limited. I went to find work as a material specialist. I worked at Trandes Corporation, a contractor company for the Space and Naval Warfare Systems Command (SPAWAR) in San Diego, California, when I decided to choose another path for my life.

With careful thought and prayer, together as a family, we decided that I should go back to school. I have always wanted to be a nurse. I have this urge to take care of everyone. Daniel and I discussed the different options on how to get my degree. There were a few different ways. I could choose the two year RN degree but in the long run, I felt that having an associates' degree would hold me back, from different leadership positions. After careful deliberation, we decided the baccalaureate degree would be my best choice.

So in looking for a Nursing program, my husband and I wanted our values to be a part of learning. We desired a school that would help construct our family life with the church. We wanted a nursing program that together we could grow spiritually and not lose sight of what we are working so hard to achieve. The best part of this decision making was that we knew what God had in store for us. We have such a tight bond with the U.S. Navy. I want to share my nursing skills, by caring for other sailors. I want to be able to be that one special nurse onboard an aircraft carrier. I have the desire to help others.

I have been accepted into the Navy Nurse Candidate Program. Once I complete my degree, I will become a Naval Officer. I would love to have Buntain School of Nursing of Northwest University help me achieve my Naval career goals.

Home / Undergraduate / Navy Nurse Candidate Program; Nursing application essay