Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

'necessity is the mother of invention' - Stanford's intellectual vitality

dardar91 1 / -  
Let me know what you guys think.

The broken clock was a comfort. A totem of progression, it kept me in a wishful error that time was stagnant. The antsy, the vexation, all prevailed within the four walls of the auditorium from where the new president of School's Leadership Council was to emerge. As the candidates waited for the election results in aflutter, I indulged in the reminiscences of my past:

Perhaps it all began at the age of twelve when I unraveled Einstein's Fish Riddle. Three years later, I was trying to develop a jet engine for a regional science fair. In this quest, the god of internet had become my aide and after weeks of cumbersome experimentations and calculations, I had designed a sophisticated gas turbine jet engine. Did I win the science fair? Good question. Courtesy of my pesky cousins, two nights before the D-Day, the unanchored jet engine "mysteriously" thought of taking a flight and rammed itself into the garage door. Unfortunately, no one was hurt. Next day, everyone is extremely nice to me and I am extremely ANTI-NICE to them.

But a prudent person finds opportunity in every mishap, right? Hence, I used the still-intact core engine of the turbine to create a portable electric generator. Now, why a generator?

They say that necessity is the mother of invention. How true. During this time, Pakistan faced a severe energy crisis which resulted in deprivation of electricity for the most part of the day. Therefore, the portable generator served as a backup electricity source for the whole house. Now, I did not have to study in candle lights anymore. My father did not need to schedule his work in accordance with the electricity hours. And of course, my mother could now cook dinners at nights as well.

"...USMAN DAR"--My name resounded triumphantly in the auditorium, and I was brought back into the present. As the victory embraced me in the form of a cheerful crowd, I attributed my success to all the failures of my life, for surely they have made me a noble human being.

Home / Undergraduate / 'necessity is the mother of invention' - Stanford's intellectual vitality