My nervous mind became filled with doubt and caused me to take an extra dribble

Jardiles 1 / 1  
Quote: "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." - Wayne Gretzky
Direction: Elaborate on this quote and how its impacted your life (500 word maximum). - If you could please revise my essay and if possible reply with some great ideas to make my essay better (: Thanks!

We, (Team name), made it to our soccer semi-finals; where we were matched up against the defending state champion (Opposing team name) high school. The opposing team managed to take an early lead on us as we were losing by a single goal. I dribbled the soccer ball down the field as fast as I could, with less than a minute left. I was about 20 yards, from the opposing teams' goal, when I suddenly planted my left foot firmly on the ground ready to shoot; I had the goal that would tie us the game and take us to overtime. However, my nervous mind became filled with doubt and caused me to take an extra dribble; which resulted in me losing the ball and later on losing the game. While being humiliated and disappointed in myself I learned that, as Gretzky said, "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take".

This quote is significant to me because not only do I apply it to soccer, but as well as to my growing experiential life. I am one who believes that fear should never be the cause of any type of failure; that would ruin your chances of accomplishing your goal. It is foolish to be afraid of something you have not yet experienced. I strive to do the best I can the right way. If you look throughout history many individuals, of significance, at one point in their life failed and but yet did not fear failure. They tried their hardest by giving it all or nothing while not worrying about any ifs or buts; which in the end builds character and leadership.

As I get older, looking back at my life, I want to feel assured that I managed to give my most maximum effort and have had utilized all available opportunities. These efforts and opportunities that are given to me will help propel my future in a positive direction. Having this type of determination defines what I am capable of and who I am.

I am no longer frightened of taking risks. If I fail, I see it only as a gaining experience that enhances my knowledge and allows me to become successful later on. I want to be proud and satisfied in everything I manage to do and attempt. I'd be honored to be admitted and allowed to further pursue my educational accomplishments at such a prestigious honors program at (College Name). I would be a fitting asset at such a distinct College because I am goal oriented, extremely determined, diligent, honest and responsible. Therefore after such experience I am always willing to put it all on the line in order to succeed for the better honestly.
balletdncr3895 2 / 3 2  
We, (Team name), made it to our soccer semi-finals;, where we were matched up against the defending state champion (Opposing team name) high school. The opposing team managed to take an early lead on us as we were losing by a single goal. I dribbled the soccer ball down the field as fast as I could, with less than a minute left. I was about 20twenty yards, from the opposing teams' goal, when I suddenly planted my left foot firmly on the ground ready to shoot; I had the goal that would tie us the game and take us to overtime. However, my nervous mind became filled with doubt and caused me to take an extra dribble;, which resulted in me losing the ball and later on losing the game. While being humiliated and disappointed in myself I learned that, as Gretzky said, "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take".

This quote is significant to me because not only do I apply it to soccer, but as well as to my growing experiential life. I am one who believes that fear should never be the cause of any type of failure; thatit would ruin your chances of accomplishing your goal. It is foolish to be afraid of something you have not yet experienced. I strive to do the best I can the right way. If you look throughout history many individuals, of significance, at one point in their life failed and but yet did not fear failure. They tried their hardest by giving it all or nothing while not worrying about any ifs or buts;, which in the end builds character and leadership.

I am no longer frightened of taking risks. If I fail, I see it only as a gaining experience that enhances my knowledge and allows me to become successful later onin the future . I want to be proud and satisfied in everything I manage to do and attempt. I'dI would be honored to be admitted and allowed to further pursue my educational accomplishments at such a prestigious honors program at (College Name). I would be a fitting asset at such a distinct College because I am goal oriented, extremely determined, diligent, honest and responsible. Therefore after such experience I am always willing to put it all on the line in order to succeed for the better honestly.

hope this helps a little!
maybe talk about more risks, chances, opportunities that you've taken?
OP Jardiles 1 / 1  
Thanks for the help! If you need any help on your essay feel free to let me know!

Home / Undergraduate / My nervous mind became filled with doubt and caused me to take an extra dribble