Neurolinguistics allows me to understand myself - Brown Supplement

kc1099 6 / 21 2  
Prompt: Why are you drawn to the area(s) of study you indicated earlier in this application? (150 word limit)

**For the record, I chose Cognitive Neuroscience as my first choice of study and Linguistics as my second**

From a young age, I was surrounded by a family who spoke two languages--Mandarin and its dialect of Fujianese were both intermingled in my brain. As an adolescent, I was able to learn and speak both tongues fluently. But how did I distinguish between both languages, structurally similar but worlds apart phonologically? Cognitive science and linguistics are two disciplines that allow me to figure out how these two languages are processed by my brain.

Language is man's most intricate form of communication--it's what inherently makes us human. To me, studying language from a neurological lens is fascinating. It's not an accident I was drawn to this field: as a translator for my parents, I always wondered how I was able to seamlessly go from English to Chinese. Why doesn't the brain get confused? What pathways are neurons fired to elucidate this shift in gears? Neurolinguistics illuminates how such a complex organ systematize and organizes languages--it allows me to understand more about myself.

-----
I'm worried about this essay because I feel like I'm really bad at describing why I love the subject of neurolinguistics so much. I think the last sentence states why I do the best but is that too little? How can I expand on that thought? Also, I'm 12 words over the limit! Help is welcomed :)
Prodigy 1 / 2  
i like the first paragraph but i think the first sentence of the second paragraph is not relevant you should try to relate something more personal
OP kc1099 6 / 21 2  
@Prodigy
Should I just remove the first sentence of the second paragraph? Is there anything else that I can change? If I remove the sentence it'll fit the word criteria.
mualla 19 / 92 28  
@kc1099

Strong statement. Yes, you should take out the first sentence of the second paragraph. I read your paragraph with and without it and without it you are drawing your reader into your writing. It flows better. You should always take this approach. If your writing works without a sentence, it is to your benefit. If you look at these essays from an admissions officer perspective, you will see what I mean. They read thousands of these and you do not want to bore them, which I think your essay does not bore the reader, and get to the point. I said your statement was strong because in a limited amount of words you were able to explain YOURSELF, your background, and why you have chosen what you have chosen. Good work.

Home / Undergraduate / Neurolinguistics allows me to understand myself - Brown Supplement