neurological and social causes and treatments for anxiety disorder-UT Austin SOP

Helicopterparty 1 / 1  
I've been attempting to tackle this for about three weeks now. At first, I thought the essay needed to be very blunt and direct with why I wanted to transfer, with less focus on narrative or personal backstory, but reading essays on here has made me question that approach.

So my question is, how exactly does one go about writing a statement of purpose? Must it be some life changing moment or hardship overcome that inspired you to attend UT Austin (as most on here are)? Or can it just deal with what about the University attracts you (the wealth of undergraduate research opportunities and preparation for graduate school).

I can't say there was a moment that inspired me, but I know that I want to go to graduate school and research the neurological and social causes and treatments for anxiety disorders, as well as the effects of intersexuality on cognitive function. I know what I want to do and I know UT Austin will help me mature these ideas and reach a level where I could find the answers I seek.

Could I just lay out my reasons like that and explain what about UT Austin would help me achieve them, or is a personal story really the only way to go about writing this?

Thank you for any responses.

-Kenny
yang 2 / 313  
here's my question: why ut austin? why transfer?
I believe that in the case of transfer, the admin wants to know as much about the reason of your transfer as who you are as a person, therefore, I'd suggest a combination of both your moment of revelation and your interests, you can hardly talk about one without the other anyways, since you are dealing with a transfer after all.

if you can't think about the moment of revelation, why did you want to transfer? it's always hard to go to a new environment, so what made you think ut was worth it? it had to be more than the programs, or you'd prob have applied there in the first place; programs are good everywhere, so why ut austin?

answer this question, talk about yourself, and you'd be just fine.
OP Helicopterparty 1 / 1  
I did apply there. I wasn't accepted because I wasn't in the top ten percent and am a white middle class male. It is almost impossible to get in from high school with that.

I now have an idea how to start, though there really was never a moment that I can say was the catalyst for wanting to go. I've looked into the research departments and the amount of work they do and include undergraduates in is really incredible. The education is also more challenging from what I've heard from current and former students. I haven't had to work hard to maintain high grades at my current university and I want to make sure that I EARN my degree.

Thank you.
yang 2 / 313  
I wasn't in the top ten percent and am a white middle class male

lol not sure about that, i'd say the same for being an Asian, since we r an over represented minority.

though there really was never a moment that I can say was the catalyst for wanting to go

if there's really no revelation time, then you should go the dream/vision way, which is to say that you've always wanted to go to that school and stuff...either way, you've gotta show you want to go there, especially after having applied there once already.

beware, DO NOT say anything bad about your current school, don't compare programs. it'll just make you look bad.
statement of purpose? Must it be some life changing moment or hardship overcome that inspired you to attend UT Austin (as most on here are)? Or can it just deal with what about the University attracts you (the wealth of undergraduate research opportunities and preparation for graduate school).

No, it should be a statement of your PURPOSE. You should show them that you have a well-defined plan, something you want to accomplish in the next 5-10 years, and especially while attending this school to which you are applying. I think the most important thing to do is show the reader that you are not one of those kids that is just being ushered through life by adults. Show that you have a clear plan and that this school is part of it.

:-)

Home / Undergraduate / neurological and social causes and treatments for anxiety disorder-UT Austin SOP