Neuroscience, fascination with brain - Personal Statement

sqfarczu 1 / 1  
Could you help me with my Personal Statement for BA Neuroscience course?

My fascination with brain started from a book at first sight not related to the subject. This was Philip K. Dick's science fiction novel entitled 'Scanner Darkly'. In this novel a drug called Substance D causes users' brain to split into two distinct, combative entities. This is because both brain hemispheres stop communicating with each other and act as if the other one was damaged. As a result both try to compensate for the lost structures.

Before I read this book I had only had rough idea of the brain compensation phenomenon and its plasticity. Since reading it I have become fascinated by the possibility of destroyed brain areas being overtaken by healthy structures, for example expansion of the audio cortex in blind people brains'. I started reading neuroscientific books and my interests shifted towards other brain functions.

I discovered that the way people perceive the world can be drastically different depending on their brain architecture. I become fascinated by the individuals with purely non-verbal type of thinking, especially the visual one. One of my favourite books on this subject is "Thinking in Pictures" by Temple Grandin, probably the best known autistic author. What really amazes me in people like Temple is that they are able to visualize very complicated engineering structures in three dimensions, or even solve mathematical problems without using standard calculations methods, like mnemonist described in Alexander Luria's book, 'The Mind of a Mnemonist'.

However, my interest in human behaviour did not originate from the Philip K.Dick's novel. Since I was at high school I have become more and more fascinated by psychology. Since that time I have read a lot of articles and books on this subject. My favourite theme has always been dreams interpretation.

My life however, took a different path. After high school completion I decided to study Environmental Engineering at Krakow University of Technology, as it seemed to me a reasonable choice. Financial situation in Poland where I gained my diploma did not look hopeful back then and only people with engineering qualifications could hope for secure future.

Now, after 4 years of work as a Building Services Design Engineer I feel that my choice was not the best one, and that I should have chosen my career in psychology/neuroscience environment. I do not regret this experience however, as it gave me a lot. During my university and work time I improved my logical and analytical thinking. I gained ability to solve difficult problems and ability to memorize a lot in a short time. The Environmental Engineering course also involved some laboratory work, especially modules like Environmental Chemistry and Biology and Environmental Protection. My other subjects involved basics of computer programming and data analysis, not to mention academic levels of mathematics and physics.

My occupation also prepared me for work in a team environment. Working to deadlines has also been the best time management practice. What is more I gained my work experience in UK, which is not my motherland. It was difficult for me at the beginning because I had to prove that my language skills were excellent, as my job involves meeting with clients, architects, etc.

I hope that by going to university I will change my life and that it will help me to start a career that I always wanted. My aim is to become Master's of Cognitive Neuroscience or clinical neurologist. I would like to work in research environment and especially to be involved in research on more unconventional treatments such as music therapy.

Thank you in advance.
mbanani 8 / 26  
you clearly explained your passion for neuroscience, which is a good thing. However, i think u should talk more about what you want to do in the future. Hope i helped .. can u please read my essays ?? thanks a lot :)
lapetitecygne 7 / 16  
some of the skills parts at the end were unnecessary, but i think the most important point is that the title of the book is not Scanner Darkly! it is A Scanner Darkly

Home / Undergraduate / Neuroscience, fascination with brain - Personal Statement