"A new day means a new beginning" - MICA Autobiographical Essay

skye61 1 / -  
This is an essay I am writing for the Maryland Institute College of Art. Any criticism and suggestions are welcome. Thank you.
------
June 26, 1993; The day when I was brought into this world that is filled with many things that lie in mystery or were made from one's ambition and determination. Everyday, we learn something new, and another creation is born or is brought to the light of discovery. Because to these very things, I have gained knowledge and inspiration that made me into the determined artist I am today.

When I was at a young age, just like any other child, I had spent most of my time playing with toys, enjoying the outdoors, and watching cartoons. As I started to mature, I became more reserved and spent more time indoors drawing, and soon my artistic abilities had begun to manifest within me. Back in elementary school, I was well-known for my art skills and vast imagination. I would have to say it was due to the cartoons I have watched, which had inspired me to form something out of my own imagination. Seeing the way animation was, to me it was an outlet for one's creativity to take a form of its own, and I wanted to do the same thing with mine. Drawing pictures was just the first step in doing so, and I made the decision to take the next one.

Before I made it into middle school, I always thought that I was one of the very few, or if not, the only one who drew in general. I assume I was the only one who did so as most children around me were more fond of the outdoors than I was, who at times grew irritated by the summer heat and the mass populations of insects in the surroundings I called nature. I was never an athlete either, only doing two sports in my life as a child. Soon, as the school year went by, I had met other who had the same interest in art as I did. I no longer had the feeling that out of my friends, I was the only one who had a fondness for art. Some of the 'mysteries' in my life were that people I knew that I didn't know had artistic talent.

However, upon entering high school, I made another discovery, one should have been implanted into my brain long before. As I met many more artists, I realized their work was much better than mine. As I gazed at their sketches, I noticed that each piece of work blew mine out of the water one by one. I had learned that I was not the only one with an interest in art, but artistic talent as well. As time flew, I started to learn more about my strengths and weaknesses as an artist. I am not that great, or if not, a terrible painter, nor a great potter, and my experiences working with paint and clay made me realize how weak I was in these areas and how my strengths lie in sketches. After acknowledging so much, I knew I had a lot to learn about art.

A new day comes with a new beginning; our senses are always exposed to something we never experienced before, and we begin to acknowledge several things made from the originality of others. This is how life is; even though my work may not be the greatest, seeing pieces of art made by others had inspired me to improve, not leave me in a rut of discouragement and jealousy. In a way, it's natural to compare yourself to others, but there are times when it's only wise to be yourself and work hard to better yourself. What I am saying is that something new comes everyday, and you shouldn't let something destroy your hopes; instead, let it inspire you to bring your creativity to life.

_Tre Thomas
rwyh 1 / 4  
We were born on the same exact day!!! And, I too am applying to art school! :D

I like how you admit that you know you are not the best at what you do, and that it inspires you to strive to better yourself and your skills. You may want to put in more details.. like from your childhood, so that rather than just saying "I would have to say it was due to the cartoons I have watched" you could relate it to a specific character that might have inspired you to make your own comics or something like that.
Every day, we learn ...---2 words, not 1

When I was at a young age, just like any other child, I had spent most of my time playing with toys, enjoying the outdoors, and watching cartoons.---Actually, I think this whole sentence is unhelpful and should be cut.

However, upon entering high school, I made another discovery, one that should have been implanted ...

I had learned that I was not the only one with an interest and talent in art.

... that something new comes every day, and you shouldn't let something destroy your hopes; instead, let it inspire you to bring your creativity to life.

Great ending!
frankiemuniz01 - / 3  
Well, I went to school to look for Mdm Tong ( our devoted maths teacher ) , i asked her some qns. And today I have lot of fun wif somebody and tease tht person abt loving somebody. Well, I might be right.

Home / Undergraduate / "A new day means a new beginning" - MICA Autobiographical Essay