New environment,culture, tradition, education & a lifestyle; Brown U/Cubism question)

ahiasat1 3 / 6 1  
Sculptor Jacques Lipchitz once said, "Cubism is like standing at a certain point on a mountain and looking around. If you go higher, things will look different; if you go lower, again they will look different. It is a point of view." With this in mind, describe a moment when your perspective changed.

It was a new environment, new culture, new tradition, new education and a new lifestyle; my perception when I moved to Qatar from Jordan and especially to the first boarding school in my life (QLA). I moved to this new country as an ignorant; the Qatari community is very much different than that of Jordan. The Qatari community is a multinational community with people from different backgrounds that I wasn't familiar with; students from the GCC, teachers from all over the world and boarding supervisors from the west. This new environment was far off my comfort zone, I wasn't ready for this change yet and this led to many conflicts with almost every member of the school's community.

In my case the school's community represented cubism, and I was looking at it from a point where things looked different from what I wanted to see. I had this point of view that the Jordanian community was much better and the Qatari community, especially the school's community, was a hopeless one. I was so lost into this point of view that the 'hopeless community' was the blame for all my conflicts to half way through the first semester. I was introduced to an image in my humanities class of a man with blindfolds only seeing a part of the bigger image he was supposed to be seeing, and that moment my perspective changed. It hit me, what if I was that man, the man that is not able to see the bigger point of view from this cubism.

At this point I decided to change my perspective towards this community. I wanted to see something different, what I wanted to see is not what I was looking for this time. Therefore I kept going higher with things looking bad and lower with things looking worst, then higher and lower again and again until I adapted, until I changed my perspective towards this community. After all, I found out that the Qatari community still shares so many values with the Jordanian community despite all their differences and backgrounds.
AryanK 5 / 20 3  
I think you should emphasise on class event when your perspective actually changed and also talk a little about what values are same between the two ( don't go into details but a lil description would be good). The essay over all is good and also shows that now you are comfortable with diverse environment. Work little more on last para.

Hope it helps!
AryanK 5 / 20 3  
help with my essay too!
Mein 4 / 22 2  
Adding above, you should add the detail about the "hopeless community" and also the example when you go higher and lower at that community.

Home / Undergraduate / New environment,culture, tradition, education & a lifestyle; Brown U/Cubism question)