My new hobby is to explore and photograph my city and surrounding areas - Pratt Architecture Essay

yersayin 1 / -  
PROMPT: Describe when and how you became interested in art, design, writing, architecture, or the particular major to which you are applying. Describe how this interest has manifested itself in your daily life.

Born and raised in Turkey until the age of six, I always had a peculiar fascination in architecture. However, this interest never really blew up until the summer of 2010. Though recent, after a quick exposure to the ways of the architect and its work, I immediately knew that this was what I wanted to do. During this particular summer, our family decided to buy our second home in Turkey. I remember so vividly arriving to the construction zone of Varyap Meridian, the high-rise development named 'Best Architecture Europe' by International Property Awards 2011. We were able to visit the architects' studios and look at the plans and designs made. This site was particularly interesting to me as I had never been so exposed to the future of architecture. The concept of modern and contemporary architecture was introduced to me, and I so lovingly embraced it.

The progression of my draw into the world of architecture was not in any case subtle, either. I found myself dazzled in curiosity almost immediately. I spent days contemplating the specifics of various structures, wondering how and why certain mediums where chosen, why the building was placed in the location that it is in, and what reason did the architect have for the chosen style. Through much thought and breaking up of individual ideas, I've taught myself that architecture is more than just design. An architect must put together math, physics, sociology, and language as well as their creative aspect into this art form.

With my gained knowledge of the career I've chosen, I have set forth a path for myself which has captivated itself in my daily life. I am an artistic person by nature and seek out any opportunity I get to get creative, especially with buildings. A relatively new hobby of mine has been to explore and photograph my city and surrounding areas. I have been paying close attention to everything I get a chance to learn about when it comes to building design and construction. As a volunteer for the local Habitat for Humanity community help center, I was able to help build homes for the less fortunate. This activity alone taught me much basic architecture knowledge. I have taught myself a lot through curiosity, but realize I have only just introduced myself into the world of architecture. I understand that Pratt Institute is a fine choice for fulfilling my dream of becoming an architect and contributing to the architecture community.

Any kind of help and review is appreciated. Please, tear this apart and change it as much as needed!!! Thank you in advance :)
Born and raised in Turkey until the age of six, I've always had a peculiar fascination for architecture.

Though recent, after a quick exposure to the ways of the architect and his work, I immediately knew that this was what I wanted to do.

I remember so vividly arriving at the construction zone of Varyap Meridian, the high-rise development ...

I found myself dazzled by curiosity almost immediately.

With my gained knowledge of the career I've chosen, I have set forth a path for myself which has captivatedingrained (?) itself in my daily life.

I am an artistic person by nature and seek out any opportunity I get to be creative, especially with buildings.

I have taught myself a lot through curiosity, but realize I have only just introduced myself in to the world of architecture.

Good luck with school and have fun!

:)

Home / Undergraduate / My new hobby is to explore and photograph my city and surrounding areas - Pratt Architecture Essay