"My new home; volunteering" - Johns Hopkins supplement

Juliano 11 / 29  
A Typical student at Johns Hopkins spends less than 15 hours each week in a classroom, leaving lots of time for volunteer opportunities, clubs and organizations, athletics, social events, and other on- and off-campus activities. Aside from the academic interests you've already expressed, in what activities do you plan to engage as an undergraduate at Johns Hopkins?

This is my second try at this essay and I could use help with it. please comment on it an tell me whether it answers the prompt or not and whether you like it. Thank you for your help and if you need help just ask.

Volunteering is a part of my life that I have cherished since I was a small child and is something I plan on continuing at Johns Hopkins University. I learned the importance of volunteering from the volunteers who came to Albania from different parts of the world. They showed compassion and carrying by offering their help to people they had never met or knew anything about and in a country that at the time was unstable. They risked their lives to help people and this inspired me to do the same. Their actions inspired me to begin volunteering at the hospital. The more time I spent at the hospital the more I realized that it was a paradox. There was suffering and death all around it but the hospital was where miracles happened every day. I became accustomed to it and loved coming every day. I learned how to things that I never imagined I could do. The hospital also helped me find what many search for all their life, my calling. When I saw the neurosurgeon on my unit I knew I was destined to become a neurosurgeon so that I could help people like my grandmother who had a tumor. I now have grown up and my time is running out at this hospital but I know that as I move on to college I will continue to volunteer at the hospitals. Johns Hopkins Hospital will be my new home and as Dorothy said "there is no place like home."
debater514 6 / 18  
This is a really good start to your essay. I would recommend a couple of things that would make this essay great. First, I am unaware of your word limit, but it appears to be 150. Having said that, I would remove the following sentence "The more time I spent at the hospital the more I realized that it was a paradox. There was suffering and death all around it but the hospital was where miracles happened every day." These 34 words could be better spent talking about why you would enjoy volunteering at the John Hopkins hospital as opposed to another university's hospital, or even any other hospital. Other than that, fantastic job!

Home / Undergraduate / "My new home; volunteering" - Johns Hopkins supplement