A New Major (informatics) to the World and Myself - Transfer Supplement Essay UMich

A1Accel 1 / 1  
I am not a very accomplished writer and would like some great help with one of my transfer supplement essays to UMich. If it helps, I'm applying as an entering sophomore so the only college experience I have right now is one semester. Please break down content and mechanics as I am willing to spend several hours to repair this. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

---------------------------------------------

Describe the unique qualities that attract you to the specific undergraduate College or School to which you are applying at the University of Michigan. How would that curriculum support your interests?

A year ago I had no idea what informatics was. All I knew was that my sister was going to be majoring in it. Now after talking to my sister, advisers, and researching online, I feel like informatics is the best fit for me.

I have always been interested in working with computers in my career. However, I do not want to focus on software engineering solely. Informatics has the background of computer science(my original choice), and adds several aspects. It adds the aspects of applying computer technology, seeing how people use software, and even adding a business approach to the area. I love the idea of one day being able to design and implement software applications in a device like a smartphone. Informatics is a fresh and uprising concentration with many possibilities.

The curriculum at the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts fits me well. Due to my prior interest in a computer science major, I have already completed a few required and transferable courses for Informatics. Also, the curriculum has courses that really interest me. For example, the Theory of Internet Applications is a course currently being developed that I have very brief knowledge in, and would be a nice topic to lighten up on. Computer Game Design and Development is another course that is definitely interesting. I have been a bit of a gamer and it would be cool to design small games just like that ones I played. Both of these courses are in a pool of electives that go with Computational Informatics.

Many students studying in technology have not picked out a specific career. Most have a general idea of what they want to do. That is where I stand. The education that is available at LSA will guide me through until I make that decision.
firu 2 / 7  
I think your essay is great but I would love if I could see more detail or maybe include a story into it that can represent how that curriculum supports your interest
OP A1Accel 1 / 1  
I wasn't sure how personal I wanted to make it. The problem is, I haven't really had that one event that made me go into my major. Truth be told, my interests are built mostly on what I envision doing in the future and what I like to do for fun. I'll try to incorporate some kind of story to it. Thanks!

Home / Undergraduate / A New Major (informatics) to the World and Myself - Transfer Supplement Essay UMich