Newspapers, social challenge, summer, events, history -Stanford Profile Questions

amitbhasin 2 / 7  
Name your favorite books, authors, films, and/or musical artists.
I tend to enjoy artistic works that change my perception of the world. Life of Pi by Yann Martel is my favorite novel. James Cameron's The Prestige is my favorite movie. Lupe Fiasco makes amazing, insightful hip-hop and Beyonce is the most talented artist I have ever seen.

What newspapers, magazines, and/or websites do you enjoy?
USnews.com and LA Times keep me up to date on local politics. Entertainment Weekly the most clever magazine I've ever read. I must go on Loserboimusic.tumblr.com every weekend to make a list of my the new favorite songs. I am guilty of watching the most random youtube videos until 2 in the morning.

What is the most significant challenge that society faces today?
Living beyond the computer screen. Social networking allows us to contrive for ourselves a more intriguing persona. I'm tired of meeting bland people in person who seemed so vibrant on the computer. If we abandon our computers for a moment to experience the world we can develop real personalities.

How did you spend your last two summers?
Pursued my passion as a black belt instructor teaching younger, autistic children, visited India where I saw the Ganges River and personally handed clothing to the poor, spent my early mornings running for the summer Cross Country program at my school.

What were your favorite events (e.g. performances, exhibits, sporting events, etc.) this past year?
The November elections and all the fiery debates, The Greek Theater exhibition at the J. Paul Getty Museum, finally getting my driver's license! (even though I was a year late), JSA Fall State Convention

What historical moment or event do you wish you could have witnessed?
Gandhi's Salt Satyagraha, also known as the Salt March. Gandhi and his followers walked 200 miles to produce salt without paying British taxes. I find his devotion to a cause riveting and inspirational.

What five words best describe you?
Even closed doors have openings
zdmw911 9 / 32  
Your questions give me a good picture of you; you seem to be very candid and real, instead of other applicants who try too hard (ie saying their favorite books are Shakespeare and favorite composer is Beethoven...that sort of thing)

I would separate each separate event in your answer to "How did you spend your last two summers?" with a colon instead of a comma.

The "What five words best describe you?" question is answered a bit oddly; I'm not sure that's what they're looking for. Regardless, don't take these "quick take" questions too seriously - Stanford just wants to know a little more about you. Just treat it as a way of giving them some of your vibe.
essceejay216 4 / 51  
I think you did pretty good. Just as long as everything you said represents you and you didn't leave out anything for fear of it not being accepted. I find that a lot of people only show colleges what they think that colleges want to see and Stanford is really one of those places that really wants to get to know who you are.
sooperman 3 / 10  
My advise is to describe yourself in five words, not in a sentence.
OP amitbhasin 2 / 7  
Thanks so much guys! :) Hmm as for the five words to describe yourself would "undaunted, passionate, quirky, enterprising, productive" be better?
Hey, I can only speak from my own perspective,and I don't know how the AO reader will feel, but I really like those 5 words you originally chose. The new 5 words (the adjectives) are good, too, but I think it is very original to use that sentence/proverb.

:-)

Home / Undergraduate / Newspapers, social challenge, summer, events, history -Stanford Profile Questions