'every night prior to contest' - a significant experience Common App Essay

dax131 1 / -  
Evaluate a significant experience, achievement, risk you have taken, or ethical dilemma you have faced and its impact on you.
My Rough Draft Essay

In my 10th and 11th grade year I had the opportunity to participate in my church's oratorical contest based on Martin Luther King Jr. It consisted of 3 age groups 8-10, 11-13 and 14-18. The 1st place winners of these groups received 500 dollars. The judge's of our speeches were our local mayor, county and city judges. While Signing up for the contest I made it a goal that I was going to win the contest.

Growing up I was very shy. So when I went up to the mic and saw over 300 people looking at me I was scared out of my mind. I actually managed to say my whole speech with no miscues. Although I had far less experience than my opponents I acclaimed fifth place out of twenty competitors. Even though I lost I was able to use the tips from this contest in school. In my English and marketing class we had to do a lot of oral projects. Which I was able to get A's on. I also was featured on my city's radio station.

Through hard work and practicing my speech in the mirror. Almost every night prior to contest. The next year I was able to say my speech with confidence. Within my Second sentence I was able to electrify the crowd. After saying my last word of speech, I could see I captured the eyes of the judges and audience. I came in First place and won 500 dollars. But I learned and experienced that the road to success comes through hard work, determination and practice.
In my 10th and 11th grade years I had the opportunity to participate in my church's oratorical contest, based on Martin Luther King Jr.

While s igning up for the contest, I made it a goal that I was going to win the contest.

Although I had far less experience than my opponents, I acclaimed fifth place out of twenty competitors.

In my English and marketing class we had to do a lot of oral projects, w hich I was able to get A's on.

I also was featured on my city's radio station, t hrough hard work and by practicing my speech in the mirror almost every night prior to contest.

Within my s econd sentence I was able to electrify the crowd.

Awesome! Good luck with school and have fun!

:)

Home / Undergraduate / 'every night prior to contest' - a significant experience Common App Essay