'nine years I spent in Shanghai' - Washington question

theredunicorn 1 / -  
How can i fit in the u washington question? Should i focus more on my family and how my parents sent me to local school?

What do you think about it? My teacher think it i should focus on the local school part.
And i really need a title for my common app essay!!
Honest feedback please~ cause i might use this one in lots of college apps
thank you~

UC app(max 1000)Describe the world you come from - for example, your family, community or school - and tell us how your world has shaped your dreams and aspirations.

UW) Discuss how your family's experience or cultural history enriched you or presented you with opportunities or challenges in pursuing your educational goals.

My story begins in Taiwan, a small but beautiful island in Asia. My life changed in the year of 2002. When I was about six years old, our family moved to a new place, Shanghai China. The moment I stepped outside the Shanghai Pudong airport, I

knew although both places speak the same language, Taiwan and China are nothing alike.

My biggest challenge at that time was probably studying in local school. After studying two years in international school, mom sent me to a local middle school for a better education. My Math and Chinese improved a lot, but my life has changed under the rote education system. The school is very strict, and has lots of specific rules you need to obey. PE and Art classes are often taken away for Math practice tests. I was upset, but couldn't fight back. Teachers always explain that we will thank them in the future. Is that true? My life revolved around studies, homework, and tests. I don't understand why I worked so hard, copying and memorizing books about the great role models who sacrificed themselves for motherland China. Many topics are inappropriate, and I gradually realized a serious issue: I am not happy. I needed freedom. I need to explore the world outside school and do what I like to do.

I transferred to , my current high school when I graduated from middle school. Students from different countries join and communicate. The school allows me to explore diverse subjects and participate in other extracurricular activities. Attending IB Visual Arts, I start focusing on making Art, something that I always loved, but had forgotten. Drawing is the easiest way to express my emotions and communicate with others. Living in a big city, I am inspired by a philosophy of nature, the connection of world, life, people and animals. In my artworls, I try to focus on the problems of disappearing habitat for animals and beauty of nature. I hope it can inspire people to take action for Earth. Incorporating Chinese Traditional Ink Painting and western techniques, I developed a style based on the valuable historical context of Chinese culture. The deeper I explore art, the more certain I am of my passion. I attended the 2010 Ace Charity event, exhibited my artworks in Shanghai and, the next year, in Parsons the New School of Design in 2011.

When I think about the nine years I spent in Shanghai, I am grateful for everything that happened in my life. Those experiences shaped my personality and made me grow stronger. Most importantly, I found a direction in my life, to pursue art in the future. I have much to learn and more to contribute. Like Emerson said, "Enthusiasm is the mother of effort, and without it nothing great was ever achieved," I feel like I have accomplished something just by doing what I like to do, and that is the best feeling ever.
Mortimer - / 3  
your essay is quite exellent. i think you have specified enough on you being able to adapt to a different environment, further more the you in washington part i think you could say a little about how it will add to you as an art student. I enjoyed reading it. I'm sorry that I could not help with the title.

Home / Undergraduate / 'nine years I spent in Shanghai' - Washington question