Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

'my non curricular stuff' - 300 words for UIUC's essay#2

baneblades 1 / -  
UIUC's ESSAY #2: In an essay of 300 words or less, tell us something about yourself that isn't covered elsewhere in this application, some interest or experience of yours that you think the University of Illinois should know about as part of the admissions review.I have been serving in church as an acolyte or server, which is how we sometimes refer to them, since 09/2009. As part of the server's guild, I have visited homes for the aged on multiple occasions and have taken part in many caroling events, such as the Celebrate Christmas In Singapore(CCIS) mass caroling event. During the visits to homes for the aged, we bought food for the elderly, talked to them and entertained them.

I pretty much listed down all my non curricular stuff but I realised that this exceeds the word count. Should I omit a paragraph or just try to cut down words?

Essay: I have been serving in church as an acolyte or server, which is how we sometimes refer to them, since 09/2009. As part of the server's guild, I have visited homes for the aged on multiple occasions and have taken part in many caroling events, such as the Celebrate Christmas In Singapore(CCIS) mass caroling event. During the visits to homes for the aged, we bought food for the elderly, talked to them and entertained them.

I was an Infantry Leader during my time in service with the Singapore Armed Forces. As a section commander, I learned to lead my men. I learned how to manage people, settle administrative issues, deal with uncooperative superiors and subordinates and learned leadership through service. I also spent quite some time talking with my men, and through this, many of them shared their problems with me and through this, I learned how to help them with their problems. During my service, I was awarded the Company Best Specialist award for my

During my second year in Singapore Polytechnic, as part of my Overseas Industrial Training Program, I was part of a team of students involved in a community service project at the Village of Hope, Danang, Vietnam. The project was to build a classroom for the physically challenged students. During the construction of the classroom, our team worked together and interacted with students and staff from the Civil Engineering Department of Duy Tan University. We also had study tours arranged for us mostly during the weekends to learn and appreciate the local culture.

During my time as an administrative assistant at St Andrew's Cathedral, I volunteered to be part of the Befrienders Club under City Community Services. We were mentors to primary school students. We tutored primary school students and helped them with their homework. After helping them with their schoolwork, we would then organise games and other fun events to help the children have fun and learn good values. Through this mentoring, I learnt how to give advice, how to coach and how to teach.

Home / Undergraduate / 'my non curricular stuff' - 300 words for UIUC's essay#2