I normally do not make a habit of relying on people; QUESTBRIDGE BIO-needs cut down!

Chantal 2 / 8  
We are interested in learning more about you and the context in which you have grown up, formed your aspirations and accomplished your academic successes. Please describe the factors and challenges that have most shaped your personal life and aspirations. How have these factors caused you to grow?

I normally do not make a habit of relying on people. I may do so for menial matters, but autonomy and self-sufficiency are very integral to my lifestyle. I believe it has a lot to do with the way I grew up, and a lot to do with the events surrounding the past few years.

My mother was from Seychelles, but lived in Kenya almost all her life. In 1993, at the age of 30 she married my father, a Zimbabwean, and moved to Zimbabwe. She was plunged into unfamiliar territory, and had to start building a life from scratch. What she did was admirable in many ways, however, it did not work out the way she planned. They divorced in 1997, just fours year later. I later found out that it was because my father was beating her. I commend her for ending the abusive relationship. She told me stories of how she sold her engagement ring, her wedding dress and other valuables to make end meet for us. Stories of how she used to take me to the park on Christmas Day to see all the lights that lined the roadway. Stories of memories shared between the two of us only. It was always the two of us, but ultimately, she was alone. All her family weren't there, and she had to fend for herself and her child. She eventually did make friends, find a job and build a comfortable life for us. She worked hard to put me through pre-school, primary and secondary school. In all this time she was a tremendous role model for me. She set examples which to this day I still adopt. She never asked for anything if she could do it herself. She taught me traditional Créole dances and she never let me forget my heritage. Because of her, I don't ask for anything unless it is absolutely necessary, and I embrace my Creole heritage fully.

After the divorce my father became a ghost. A figure I would run into in town once a year, or see once or twice when visiting my grandmother. Some person I would be given random updates on. A name that would be mentioned in passing. His presence did not extend beyond the occasional happy birthday message sent a week after my actual birthday. Normally, one would expect me to have "daddy issues". I wouldn't describe them as such. His absence taught me way more than I feel his presence would have. His absence made both me and my mum strong women, capable of taking care of themselves. It taught me at a very young age that people will not always be there for you. It also taught me that one cannot rely on people too much, because some may disappoint you.

In 2010 my mother lost her high paying job as an advocacy and communications consultant and our family was plunged into economic turmoil. My school fees at the private school I was attending was out of our price range now, but not once did my mother suggest that I transfer. Her goal from the beginning had been clear; to provide me the opportunity to get the best education I could. I was determined not to let her down and amidst the hardships managed to excel in my Olevels exams and receive academic honours. There were nights when she would go without dinner and give me the last morsel of food for the day, or give me a bigger portion of food. Little things like that touched me immensely. Her selflessness made me even more determined to make her proud. She worked piece jobs, and whatever money she got always went towards school fees first. I managed to stay in school for two years off her tireless work and sacrifice, and I obtained good results for my Alevel examinations. She was the first person I called because as much as I did it for myself, one of my main goals was making her proud. She taught me to have a spirit of lowliness and sacrifice for those we love. She also instilled in me a good work ethic which will benefit me in the future. She was always optimistic, and told me constantly that things were going to work out for us.

Her subsequent death in May of 2013 was both unexpected and sudden. I was shattered, and I could not imagine myself living without her. Only then did I realise how much she actually did for me. I had to become an adult, and I was thrust into the deep waters of the real world without a life jacket. However, with some help from my mother's close friends, I was able to become a woman in my own right. I feel now that there is nothing the world can throw at me that I cannot only endure but conquer. I am determined to complete my journey towards becoming a vet, and help all the domestic animals who have suffered abuse at the hands of other humans.
khanhluong 3 / 8 2  
I am really sorry for your loss, Chantal. You must have an incredible character in which I have nothing to compare for.
For your essay, I feel like you did a good job on showing the challenges you have gone through. However I think you should expand more on the section of your aspirations. Like why a vet but not a social worker who help abused people? And how the future education at one of the best colleges can help you achieve your dream? If you can explain more on that portion then I think your essay will shine more.
katwoman 2 / 6  
Your essay is really inspiring and well written! The one grammar thing I wasn't sure on was "All her family weren't there, and she had to fend for herself and her child." I'm not sure if it should be "All of her family wasn't there," or if what you had is grammatically correct. I can't decide, but maybe you want to ask an English teacher about that. I also like the imagery you have created in certain parts of the essay. I'm applying through questbridge too, and I wish you the best of luck :)
o5vx 3 / 4  
The Challenges that comes with losing a love one can be very overwhelming and you did a great job showing that. I would suggest that you talk more about how it impacted on your life. Were there anything that changed in your life as a result of this? Thanks.
Let's give a try with your "cut down" request :D

I believe it has a lot to do with the way I grew up, and a lot to do with the events surrounding the past few years.

I believe it has a lot to do with the way I grew up and the events surrounding in the past few years.

Stories of how she used to take me to the park on Christmas Day to see all the lights that lined the roadway. Stories of memories shared between the two of us only.

; stories of our walks to the park on Christmas Day to see the illuminated roadway, of the memories shared between just two of us only.

She set examples which to this day I still adopt follow

After the divorce my father became a ghost

... this is with you, isn't it? I mean he became a ghostly figure in your life. If so, you need to tell it to the reader at this point .
OP Chantal 2 / 8  
Hahaha yes he became a ghostly figure, not a literal ghost! Thanks for the advice!

Home / Scholarship / I normally do not make a habit of relying on people; QUESTBRIDGE BIO-needs cut down!