Why Northwestern Essay (with the content)

09johnsont 3 / 5  
What are the unique qualities of Northwestern - and of the specific undergraduate school to which you are applying - that make you want to attend the University? In what ways do you hope to take advantage of the qualities you have identified?

I need help with the content. Am I answering all of the questions? If so, am I answering them in enough details?

When I was little, I used to pretend Northwestern was a Castle. Its sprawling arches, gothic buildings, and rich stained glass became my defense tower from the evil that lurked beyond its gates. My sense of imagination was the only entertainment I had during the hour long trips my mom would take to The Block Museum as an art buff.

As I grew older I began to see Northwestern for what it really was - a highly rigorous school of academic excellence, and although my mother's visits to the campus became less frequent, they were replaced by my sister's visits as a graduate student obtaining a MA in English. She would take me along as she picked up books for research papers at the Northwestern University Library and we would converse about the universities unique qualities. It was then that I realized I, much like my sister, possessed many of the qualities Northwestern sought from its students - high levels of leadership ability, athleticism, and participation in organizations that benefited my community.

I have also conducted a meticulous search for the college that best suits my educational goals and I have no doubt that Northwestern's top notch faculty and small-sized classes will provide me with the best quality of education. During both my junior and senior year I had the opportunity to spend a few nights on campus with a friend. Through this experience I grew to love not only the campus, but the welcoming students and staff. Yet, I am primarily attracted to the universities philosophy of not just providing its students with information, but teaching them how to think. Northwestern's core curriculum will provide me with a solid foundation of knowledge to effectively communicate with my peers and professors. I embrace the challenges of a vigorous curriculum that will continue to stimulate my abilities as a student.

After attending a seminar at the university on its prestigious Engineering Program, I hope to take full advantage of the McCormick School of Engineering and Applied Sciences by majoring in Mechanical Engineering. I look forward to an academic environment that blurs the distinction between science and engineering and the new Engineering First Program that will allow me to learn problem solving, design, and communications during my first years of study. Furthermore, I hope having access to the college will allow me to divulge myself in undergraduate research and labs to link my knowledge to more practical, real world, applications. I have already begun taking steps to achieve my goal of becoming a mechanical engineer by interning at my uncles product design firm during spring break my junior year.

To continue my passion for community service, I hope to venture beyond the universities gates to the cities of Evanston and Chicago. As a member of Key Club, a community service organization, since my freshman year of high school, helping others is a major commitment that I hope to continue through my college years and for the rest of my life. Northwestern's Center for Student Involvement will provide me with a wide array of volunteer opportunities in the city's walls.

Northwestern constantly challenges its students and provides countless opportunities for something new, breaking people out of their comfort zones and providing an environment in which students thrive. I crave the opportunity to enroll into Northwestern University's Mechanical Engineering Program and create my own memories of the school as I strive to my full potential and make avid use of the resources available to me.
procrastination 1 / 12  
hey papas

you said "a MA in English" i say "an MA in English"
you said "since my freshman year of high school" i say omit because you are going to put that in your activities portion of the common app so they are going to know.

you said "Engineering Program" but im not quite sure that has to be capitalized

but besides those minor things it was awesome and well- written
you answered the questions fantastically and it was good.

consider my adjustments and thats it really, in my opinion.
Linnus 6 / 89  
"although my mother's visits to the campus became less frequent, they were replaced by my sister's visits as a graduate student obtaining a MA in English"

This is a rather abrupt addition to the first part of the sentence.

"Through this experience I grew to love not only the campus, but also the welcoming students and staff.

"Engineering Program"

Doesn't need to be capitalized.

Well written.
angel101 1 / 16  
nice essay=] you answered the question and made it your own

you could say . . . a Master of Arts in English
i think you should keep since my freshmen year b.c i doubt they are going to rmr that from your activities section
dennykravitz - / 1  
i got two things to say:

you need to get off these forums. you are a good writer, why not have enough confidence in yourself to submit it without the midiocre comments made by these fools?

i haven't even met you, and i think i am in love with you. you are a stong person. you have been through a lot. but you are hiding. let your personality come through, you have to impress the northwestern board, but do it with your experiences and your talents. dnt pretend to be someone you're not. cuz you are a very special person and you can achieve anything you put your mind to.

good luck with the rest of your endeavours.
this essay is good. i would change a couple adjectives and verbs to make it your own.
congrats.
have a great night,
and remember...

no one on here can tell you how to write about yourself
so do it from the heart. and you will be fine.

best of luck,
-D.K.

Home / Undergraduate / Why Northwestern Essay (with the content)