Northwestern's global presence and its inner niches... What aspects of Northwestern appeal most to m

angeli6778 11 / 36 16  
Should I write a short introduction at the beginning? Am I too focused on academics and not enough on why I genuinely like Northwestern?

Prompt: Other parts of your application give us a sense for how you might contribute to Northwestern. But we also want to consider how Northwestern will contribute to your interests and goals. Help us understand what aspects of Northwestern appeal most to you, and how you'll make use of specific resources and opportunities here. (300 words)

Northwestern's versatile quarter system allows me to double major in Sociology and Neuroscience, creating the strong scientific background interwoven with humanistic understanding that is essential for me as a physician. The Biology Allied Field of the Neuroscience major guarantees a solid biological foundation, while the electives allow me to explore both nervous system mechanisms and human behavior in ways that reinforce one another.

The substantial investment in undergraduate research grants me incredible autonomy. I plan to get involved in a department lab in my first year and apply to the NEURON program in my second year with my mentor. I particularly would like to join the Affective & Clinical Neuroscience Laboratory, as their work on mood disorders relates to my interest in psychiatry.

Through Sociology, I can study how stratification of opportunity based on gender and class affects one's life and behavior with field studies right in the Chicago area. The Health, Medicine, and Science concentration provides fresh insight on my intended profession, especially in healthcare politics through courses like "Social and Health Inequalities." I'm also interested in Professor Steven Epstein's work regarding social movements, sexuality, and biomedical research. I will take full advantage of the accessibility of faculty to discuss with him topics that spawn intellectual inquiry in both of us.

Whether it's the unparalleled academic resources, concerts at Pick-Straiger, networking with the Purple Mafia, or simply journaling by the Lakefill, the direction of my future lies here. Beyond just scholastic achievement, Northwestern's global presence and its inner niches culminate in an environment that fosters personal growth and bestows upon me the best of all worlds.
Angeli, have you already given some information regarding how you will receive a well rounded education at Northwestern using the academic and social offerings of the university? I feel like there is a lack of balance in your discussion because it is more than 90% concentrated on your academic interests. The other side of your studies, your social development seems to have been neglected in terms of representation of your non academic interests and goals. A well balanced education seeks to develop a well rounded personality in the student. This means, that while you may be focused on getting into NEURON, you also know when to step back and relax. Give your brain a rest and allow yourself to just let lose and enjoy your time as a college student.

In my opinion, your social interests also relate to some goals that you have because the way you socialize helps you network for your future career. So you should also have a goal when thinking of your social life and the kinds of organizations, clubs, or volunteer activities that you will be participating in. My advice is this, try to create a 50-50 balance between academic and social representation in this response essay. Show the reviewer that you know how to balance education and social freedoms for the betterment of your future career.
OP angeli6778 11 / 36 16  
Thank you for the advice, I was thinking along those same lines. Could you take another look at my revised essay?

Northwestern's versatile quarter system allows me to double major in Sociology and Neuroscience, creating the strong scientific background interwoven with humanistic understanding that is essential for me as a future physician. The Biology Allied Field of the Neuroscience major guarantees a solid biological foundation, while the electives allow me to explore nervous system mechanisms and human behavior in ways that reinforce one another.

The Health, Medicine, and Science Sociology concentration provides fresh insight ...
Angeli, what is your maximum word count for the essay? It seems like you need to expand a bit more on the explanation regarding the extra curricular side. There is still an imbalance of information presentation when you compare the academic with the socio-cvic aspect of your growth at Northwestern. How do you plan on using the membership in the organizations that you mentioned to help you develop on a personal level? Do you have any inadequacies, questions, or advocacy mission that you feel these groups can help you to pursue? Be a bit more descriptive about how the organizations and clubs can help you achieve a sense of moral maturity rather than speaking about the concerts, networking, or working at the lake. We need to be solid about how you plan to spend both your academic and extra curricular time at the university by showing a balanced plan of student life while you are at the university.
OP angeli6778 11 / 36 16  
The word limit is 300 words, and I'm at exactly that many. I have included more on the social activities, but I believe it's best if I focus a little more on academics, especially because I plan on double majoring. Here's the revised version:

Northwestern's versatile quarter system allows me to double major in Sociology and Neuroscience, creating the strong scientific background interwoven with humanistic understanding that is essential for me as a future physician. The Biology Allied Field of the Neuroscience major guarantees solid biological knowledge, while the electives allow me to explore nervous system mechanisms and human behavior in ways that reinforce one another.

The Health, Medicine, and Science Sociology concentration provides fresh insight on my intended profession, especially in healthcare politics through courses like "Social and Health Inequalities." I'm also interested in Professor Steven Epstein's work regarding social movements, sexuality, and biomedical research. I will take full advantage of the accessibility of faculty to discuss with him topics that stimulate intellectual inquiry in both of us.

The substantial investment in undergraduate research grants me incredible autonomy. I plan to get involved in a department lab in my first year and apply to the NEURON program in my second year with my mentor. I particularly would like to join the Affective & Clinical Neuroscience Laboratory, whose work on mood disorders relates to my interest in psychiatry.

Beyond academics, I will find boundless rewarding experiences in Northwestern's diverse social outlets. By working for health clinics with New Life Volunteering Society, I can interact with patients, observe the real-world effects of socioeconomic status, and ameliorate the consequences of healthcare inequality. In the LGBT organization Rainbow Alliance, I plan to run for executive board and bring Chicago's urban dimension to our activism. I'm truly grateful for the solidarity in the Wildcat LGBT community, and will contribute my voice and resolve to serving all its members and causes.

Northwestern's cosmopolitan presence and its inner niches represent faith in my potential, and I will fulfill that promise to the school and to myself every moment of the way.

Home / Undergraduate / Northwestern's global presence and its inner niches... What aspects of Northwestern appeal most to m