Why Northwestern? NU will be the place for me.

bhangra369 8 / 11  
Please review.

My friends and acquaintances had all sung Northwestern's praises. My piano teacher had mentioned the excellent music programs there. And of course, the city of Chicago had its allure. But the two things that really sold me on this school were the campus atmosphere and the personality of the students. All of them seemed just like me; they wanted to get the best out of life professionally, but also make time for fun.

It all started with my dad's business trip to Chicago in July of 2007. While we were there, my parents casually suggested a campus visit to Northwestern. At first, I was not too keen on it. We had seen MIT and Harvard during our visit to Boston that past May, and I did not want my summer to become a series of college visits when I was just barely out of my sophomore year of high school. But parental authority ultimately prevailed.

On a very hot and muggy morning, my family and I set off on our adventure with a train ride from Chicago to Evanston. We reached the campus right on time, so we were able to get our bearings and be assigned to student-led campus tours. As soon as I heard the words "biotechnology major" from one of the students, I walked right over to his group, eager to learn more.

I knew that Northwestern had excellent programs in music and journalism---two areas of study that had always intrigued me. However, during my sophomore year, I had become very interested in the biological sciences, and began envisioning myself as a doctor or researcher. I was not sure how good NU was in these faculties. The student guide reassured me that there were plenty of opportunities in sciences, and that they were as well taught as the humanities were. I was also told that it was easy to become part of a music ensemble---even if one was not a music major. This was also good for me, since I had just begun chorus that year and hoped to stay with it.

In addition to the more practical matters of education and facilities, I also took note of the campus quirks and traditions. I smiled when I saw the Rock and learned of its history...and the variegated colors I saw on it. (This gave me some very interesting ideas of what I should paint on it. ) This showed that Northwestern students, like me, are high achieving, but are able to pull a few hijinks from time to time. I figured if I could glue-gun quartz pieces to a glass jar and glaze a few clay masterpieces before putting them into the kiln to be fired----at the age of ten-----painting a big rock wasn't too challenging. Other activities like the Primal Scream before finals---something I am sure I would wholeheartedly engage in---appealed to me as well. I learned of other traditions (including jingling keys at kickoffs and Dance Marathon, among others) much later, through other sources, but the first two I heard of had me convinced that I would be able to fit in here.

Though I was tired and hungry throughout most of the day, I thoroughly enjoyed seeing the rest of the campus. I enjoyed even the more mundane aspects of the tour---including the library, which was the first college library I had seen from the inside (besides Florida State University's.), and the simple yet beautiful lakes I saw that dotted the landscape. (This especially held true after I saw several small ducks rolling their webbed feet so they could move through bluish waters.) Everything around campus reminded me of my hometown's landscape at its best---trees and greenery everywhere, clean lakes. Of course, there are slight differences in the vegetation from Tallahassee to Evanston, but the general idea of an ideal place for students to live, learn, work, and play is the same.

I know that the workload at Northwestern is much harder than 5 AP's in the senior year of high school. I know it will take more time management and efficiency to accomplish all I desire. I also know that one must master the important balance between work and play to be truly happy. Northwestern students do this every day, and leave their mark on the world wherever they go. I know that I can join the ranks, because I believe in myself. (I would not have made it this far if I did not. ) Seeing Northwestern with my own eyes and hearing the students and admissions committee members talk about what life is like, and what the typical student is like, confirmed my beliefs that this was the place for me.

Everyone I spoke with said that career and achievement were very important to them, but they also wanted time to enjoy themselves and celebrate what they did well. Everyone I have spoken with since---including a currently enrolled student who graduated from my high school two years ago---said that the atmosphere is intense, but that one comes to thrive on it. I have had experience with intense competition before, and see no reason why I would not be up to the challenge.

I know I will thrive and benefit immensely from all that this school has to offer. Thus, I believe that NU will be the place for me for the next four years of my life.
angel101 1 / 16  
"But the two things that really sold me on this school were the campus atmosphere and the personality of the students. "

maybe you could say that theses things stood out to you instead of using sold...

"I had become very..." you could use became instead of had become

" I have had experience with intense competition before, and see no reason why I would not be up to the challenge." why don't you tell them about your experience? and expand on that to show them why you feel you will thrive there.

I really like this essay, but one suggestion instead of comparing yourself to NU's students why don't you add something about how you would bring something unique to the student body

Hope this helps :)
Very good essay, good luck in school.:)

Kevin

Home / Undergraduate / Why Northwestern? NU will be the place for me.