notation:U VA supplement : College of Arts and Sciences

cavo8 2 / 6  
College of Arts and Sciences: What work of art, music, science, mathematics, or literature has surprised, unsettled, or challenged you, and in what way?
could you please help me edit

Since elementary school one concept has been pounded into my head--there is only one answer to math question and many to a english question. But is this really true? No.

During AP Calculus a new term shattered this notation: ∞. Initially i couldn't understand how the answer could be a symbol meaning basically anything. But these past months I have adopted it into my work and utilized in in solving limits and equations.

That infinity symbol represents my growing knowledge in mathematics, which will flourish at UVA.
chillyp 4 / 9 1  
I'm gonna start by saying that you probably need to add a decent amount of writing to this piece. I know i wrote more for mine, but anyhow.

The intro needs working on, don't give the reader those type of questions. It wastes space and doesn't really accomplish much IMO.
You need to do a lot more of explaining on the significance of the infinite symbol in calculus. Dig deeper.

but good luck, interesting concept, and thanks for commenting on my thread.
OP cavo8 2 / 6  
"My mother is a fish"; UVA SUP/ Literature that surprised me

As i immersed myself in As I Lay Dying my eyes halted at a phrase--- "My mother is a fish." This line uttered by a child could either mean that his mother had gills and traveled with Nemo, or she was simply nonexistent. As we flip through the pages of any novel our interpretations are never bounded.

On the other hand, math is a different story. Since elementary school one concept has been pounded into my head;there is only one answer to a math question. But this isn't always true. Like Literature, math has its own open term that shatters this notion: ∞

Initially during calculus I couldn't understand how an answer could be a symbol meaning basically anything; but these past months I have adopted it into my work and utilized in solving limits and equations.Though ∞ is nothing like that child's words it took me by surprise and weaseled itself into my everyday life.

That infinity symbol won't allow me to swim through the ocean;instead, it will lead me to a campus where I can walk among intellectual people. It represents my growing knowledge in mathematics, which will only flourish at UVA.

Home / Undergraduate / notation:U VA supplement : College of Arts and Sciences