There is nothing that I want more than to follow my dreams of being a retail buyer - FIDM Essay

MayaMaldonado 1 / -  
Hi, I am currently a junior in high school and I'm starting my applications for fashion schools. I have done the rough draft for my FIDM entrance essay and I really really need your guys' help!! My dream school is FIT in New York and FIDM is my back up. The junior advantage application period starts on January 15th, 2015. I'm starting it early because I hate procrastinating and I want it ready and to be seen by FIDM right on January 15th. I just need some thoughts on whether or not is is good enough. Thank you!!

"- Admissions Essay (2 pages maximum)
Write an essay containing answers to the following questions:

What are your expectations, goals, hobbies, and special interests?
What are your reasons for choosing FIDM?
What appeals to you about the major you are considering?
What are your goals and aspirations upon graduation from FIDM?"
-------
My name is Maya and I am interested in what the Merchandise Marketing program that The Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising has to offer me. In this essay, I will explore the topics of what my hobbies, and special interests are, my reasoning behind choosing FIDM, what appeals to me about the major I have chosen ,and what my goals are upon graduation from The Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising.

From a very early age, I realized my extreme love for all things fashion, art, and beauty. I just feel such a pull towards fashion and how much is it expressed in everyday life, even from the smallest, least noticeable things around us, and It is just so inspiring how fashion can truly just change the essence of a woman. I find so much joy and inspiration in clothing because of how much thought has been put into that garment as well as the craftsmanship and presentation that just goes into the creation of a blouse for the specified target market. Other than my extreme love for fashion, I also have a very special interest in theater and drama. I personally love public speaking and, other than fashion, there's nothing that I love more other than acting in front of others. It's really incredible to me to be able to really transform yourself into another, completely different character that you can morph into and completely be someone new and see the world through their eyes. Another interest of mine is serving my community, I think having a sense of community in the place you live in and always reaching out and proving as much help as you can to others and your community is by far one of the best qualities one can have. Through a school club that I am involved in, Helping Hands, I am able to serve my community from free food handouts to beach clean ups and it is by far something that I want to continue doing for the rest of my life. My hobbies consist of: socializing and going on trips with friends, listening to music, watching documentaries to remain informed, running and exercise, being involved in school clubs, creating fashion sketches, and like any other fashion lover, staying updated on the weekly episodes of Project Runway and their new spin-off Threads; Which is actually shot at The Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising!

I have various reasons for choosing FIDM as a school that I am interested in. One of these reasons is that other than fashion, I really don't think there is anything else out there for me. Going to fashion school and following my dreams of working in the fashion industry is all I have ever wanted for myself and all I ever saw myself doing. Following my dreams and going through with fashion school is extremely scary, but I know that I want nothing more than to turn my dreams into reality and I know that I can get the knowledge I need to acquire for those dreams through FIDM. Being a Californian, I am extremely familiar with California which will be a huge advantage for me while going to college. I get to enjoy the beauty of California, study fashion merchandising, and not be too far from home all through FIDM and that would basically be everything that I could ask for whenever it comes to my college experience. Another really huge reason for choosing FIDM is that I will be around extremely creative individuals that have the same goals as I do. I will be able to learn so much from my peers as well as my professors in such a creative environment while following my dreams of being a part of the fashion industry.

The major that I am considering is merchandise marketing, and this major appeals to me in multiple ways. Merchandise marketing is truly the business of fashion and I have done enough research on this major and plenty of others that FIDM has to offer and I am certain that merchandise marketing is the right one for me. This major really captivates me because of everything it has to offer me. Through this major I will be able to forecast trends for upcoming seasons, acquire more knowledge of a target market, and understand and complete a seasonal buy plan using industry-related technology. All of these tools will help me in the future of my goals of becoming a retail buyer of a major fashion company. Studying merchandise marketing at The Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising can truly push me in the right direction and give me all of the skills and knowledge I need to get to the place I want to be and allow me to have my dream of working in the fashion industry come true. I will be able to learn from professionals who are in the industry and there's nothing more that I want other than that at this time. I am very eager to learn about merchandise marketing and to put everything I have into this major.

I have a very clear vision of what my goals are upon graduation from FIDM. I would have to say that there is nothing that I want more than to be a retail buyer for a major fashion brand. I want to travel the world meeting designers, go to fashion week in New York, Paris, and Milan, and choose the best of the best clothing to go into the store that I will be working for. I want to be the best retail buyer I can possibly be and I know that through FIDM, I can do just that. Other than being an extremely hard worker and applying all of the knowledge I could acquire at FIDM into my work, I also just want to grow as an individual through studying at FIDM and become the person I am meant to be which is an independent, creative, collaborative, compassionate woman. Growth through this fashion school is something that I want more than anything upon graduation. I want to expand my knowledge of fashion, the industry, the major I will be studying and so much more. I want success in my life and I know that I am driven enough and have enough motivation to follow my dreams that upon graduation, I will be ready to take the fashion industry head on and have my dream of being a major retail buyer come true. Above all else, I want to be an example of what The Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising can do for you and how it can lead you to your dream job in the fashion industry. I want to be brave and courageous and show young girls that they can follow their dreams of working in the fashion industry and that FIDM can help them do so.

Thus, there is nothing that I want more than to follow my dreams of being a retail buyer for a major fashion company, and I know that the merchandise marketing program that The Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising has to offer me can truly get me where I want to be. Although success is incredibly important to me, I really do want to show young girls that they can follow their dreams and that they can make it in the fashion industry if they have enough drive, and this is me following my dreams.
kitakaname 5 / 17 2  
My name is Maya and I am interested in what the Merchandise Marketing program that The Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising has to offer me. In this essay, I will explore the topics of what my hobbies, and special interests are, my reasoning behind choosing FIDM, what appeals to me about the major I have chosen,and what my goals are upon graduation from The Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising.

・I think you do not have to state from "My name is~Design and Merchandising" because admisson officers will have already known your name and your desire to study at FIDM until the time you submit your application!

From a very early age, I realized my extreme love for all things fashion, art, and beauty. I just feel such a pull towards fashion and how much is it expressed in everyday life, even from the smallest, least noticeable things around us, and It is just so inspiring how fashion can truly just change the essence of a woman. I find so much joy and inspiration in clothing because of how much thought has been put into that garment as well as the craftsmanship and presentation that just goes into the creation of a blouse for the specified target market. Other than my extreme love for fashion, I also have a very special interest in theater and drama.

You should start; "In my very early years, I realized my extreme passion for fasion, art, and beauty..." then you can explain how you realized it or what experience allowed you to have such perspectives. The rest of the sentences sounds fairly good, and if you can develope the explanation about your interests in theater and drama, your essay will become more strong!

I personally love public speaking and, other than fashion, there's nothing that I love more other than acting in front of others. It's really incredible to me to be able to really transform yourself into another, completely different character that you can morph into and completely be someone new and see the world through their eyes. Another interest of mine is serving my community, I think having a sense of community in the place you live in and always reaching out and proving as much help as you can to others and your community is by far one of the best qualities one can have. Through a school club that I am involved in, Helping Hands, I am able to serve my community from free food handouts to beach clean ups and it is by far something that I want to continue doing for the rest of my life. My hobbies consist of: socializing and going on trips with friends, listening to music, watching documentaries to remain informed, running and exercise, being involved in school clubs, creating fashion sketches, and like any other fashion lover, staying updated on the weekly episodes of Project Runway and their new spin-off Threads; Which is actually shot at The Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising!

You should focus on one experience for one interest and be more specific!!

In these paragraph, you should write about specific traits that motivate you to go to this school by combinig the two paragraphs. . For example... one of the reasons is that FIDM have courses, such as ...., and they will help me grow....

Be creative, be specific!!
Maya, here is the thing, the essay prompt provides you with 4 specific questions to answer via discussion in your application essay. Instead, your essay reads like a high school research paper. You need to simply address the questions being asked in the most direct method possible. There is no need to discuss any of your other interests and activities that are not related to the question. Those kinds of information will not help make the essay remarkable or memorable to the admissions officer. If you will just answer the questions they provided, you will end up with a tight, informative, and interesting essay that will provide only the information that the admissions officer requires you to present in this essay app. Try to write a new version of the essay that answers the questions only. Nothing more, nothing less. You need to stay as close to the prompt requirements as possible in order to ensure that the admissions officer will finish reading your essay instead of simply setting it aside because your answer is not what they expected to read based upon the prompt provided. Don't worry, we will help you with the revision of the essay. You just have to write it first so that we can review it for content and prompt adherence :-)
rjennifer713 3 / 7  
"I will explore the topics of what my hobbies, and special interests are, my reasoning behind choosing FIDM, what appeals to me about the major I have chosen ,and what my goals are upon graduation from The Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising."

Right here, never explain what you are going to say. That should be self explanatory through your thesis or topic sentence of each body paragraph.

Home / Undergraduate / There is nothing that I want more than to follow my dreams of being a retail buyer - FIDM Essay