Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

"Nothing ever turns out the way you picture it" essay for CUA

Ukeboy 2 / 9  
John Keats wrote, "Nothing ever becomes real till it is experienced - even a proverb is no proverb to you till your life has illustrated it." Please tell us about an experience in your own life which has illustrated a special proverb or quote that has meaning for you.

From a young age, my mother was the light of my life. Like most mothers, she cared and she loved me with all her heart, always making sure I was okay. I started to notice that my mother was not always well. Still, she put me above everything else, even if she was not feeling well. I found out as I got older, that my mother had breast cancer, and that she was fighting it as best as she could. For years my mother fought and she fought, and she always instilled a sense of determination in me. I knew that if my mother could fight cancer, and win, that I could achieve anything. Finally, after years of fighting, my mother emerged victorious, she had lived to tell the tale so to speak.

The years went by; my mother watched and helped me to grow to be the most proper young man I could be. I was not always perfect, and my mother, on occasion, would have to punish me in a fair but constructive way. I was growing up like any ideal child would. I had loving mother, father, step father, and step mother. My parents kept many things from me, because at the time, I was not mature enough to handle some of the things my parents kept from me. One day, my mother and my step father sat me down on my bed; they told me in the most peaceful way that my mother had cancer again. This time was different though; it was terminal cancer.

Again, my mother had to battle off the breast cancer, it had came back to claim my mother's life. My mother was a fighter; she fought so hard against the cancer, and still managed to take care of me. In the back of my mind, I had always feared that my mother would die from cancer. I always reassured myself that she could never die because someone that was as good as my mother, could never die from something as terrible as cancer. In short, I believed that God would not take away my mother from me; she was too good and graceful to be killed in that way.

A couple of years went by, and it seemed that things were not going to get better for my mother. The original breast cancer had spread to my mother's brain, so she was now battling breast and brain cancer. I was always hopeful that one day she would wake up, and feel better and I could live my life without constant fear of my mother dying. One day I got home from school, and my aunt was there. She told me that my mother was in the Emergency Room at the hospital with my step father. This had happened before, so I was not worried, I was sure that it was just a little discrepancy. A few hours went by, and my step father returned in tears and everything became inaudible. I could read my step fathers lips which told me of my mother's death. My aunt was in tears, my little sister did not understand, but she started to cry as well. I broke down, I screamed and I cried while everyone hugged me. My mother had died, and lost her battle.

To this day, I never forget the day my step father walked through the door crying with the bad news. After all those years of hoping and praying, it seemed worthless. At first I had felt betrayed by God and everything good in the world; I believed that it was wrong. There are so many people in the world that commit crimes and murders that are still roaming the streets, my mother never did a bad thing in her life, and she died. My mindset was quite narrow, but it broadened as I grew older. I had always reassured myself that everything would turn out okay and my mother would be cured and live a long and healthy life. I realized that every person has their time and purpose in life, and my mother had fulfilled it. My mother has inspired me to be the best person I can and achieve anything I choose to pursue. More importantly, she has proved one of the biggest proverbs I live my life by, "Nothing ever turns out the way you picture it".

Home / Undergraduate / "Nothing ever turns out the way you picture it" essay for CUA