Notre Dame What do you never believe &difference between intelligence and wisdom

lucy123 5 / 9 2  
1. What will you never believe?
I believed that nothing could pick up my passion for acquiring knowledge when I still immersed in the seemingly endless sorrow of losing my dog. Having heared the death of dog that gave me happiness for nearly 16 years, I felt the whole world collapsed and had no mood to study because the beautiful memories of the dog were full of my mind. What were the uses of so much knowledge I had learnt that even couldn't save my dog's life? I shouted with tears shed. That day, I changed the channel again and again to find anything could attract my attention. A little girl appeared on a TV show. She lost her sight due to a serious fever when she was just four-months old. When asked what was her biggest wish, the little girl said she wanted to read all the books in the world, with a sweet and innocent voice. Shame was the first word I wanted to describe myself at that time. The lesson I learnt from her were how precious that I could still obtain the knowledge but more important, I retrieved the passion.

Now, I will never believed that there will be a reason for me to give up embracing the knowledge.

2.In your opinion, what is the difference between intelligence and wisdom? You may cite a historical or fictional example, or offer an illustration from your own experience. ïźˆapproximately 150 wordsïź‰

Knowledge may be power, but the use of that intelligence determines wisdom. In 2004, a category 4 hurricane named Charley set down in Florida. Winds, which reached speeds of 150 mph (240 km/h), resulting in several deaths and causing damages to the state of over $13 billion. It was the second largest storm to hit the United States at that time.

Nearly two million people were left without electricity. Many now found themselves homeless. What made the crisis even more tragic was what happened in the aftermath.

Some businesses taking advantage of the desperate situation began to charge astronomically large amounts for the necessities that the people so desperately needed. With no alternative, people consented to hand over small fortunes to provide for their families.

Following the storm, however, those businesses who took such great advantage of those who were desperate would later find themselves in a very difficult situation. Those they took advantage of remembered and resented the greed that had been exhibited. When the storm had passed and life began to return to normal, these consumers took their business elsewhere. Those that had demonstrated excessive greed now found themselves struggling to make ends meet.

Had these business people used their positions in a more humanitarian way, they would have gained the respect of the people who so desperately needed their help. They proved that they had the intelligence to make a quick buck, but that they lacked the wisdom to earn a loyal customer.
Jennyflower81 - / 690 96  
Hi again :) I think this essay needs some work. What did you never believe in? It is a little confusing, and you need to organize your thoughts more. I can try to edit it a little.

You mean to say:
When my dog passed away, I lost belief in myself. I did not believe that my passion for learning could be reignited, after feeling this loss. The sorrow of losing my dog was endless, because he has been my companion for 16 years. My whole world collapsed, and I had no motivation for studying or learning. All I could think of was the memory of my dog. I felt hopeless, because no matter how smart I was, my knowledge could not save him. I was so angry, and I shed many tears. However that day i saw a TV show about a little girl who had lost her sight as a baby. Somebody asked her "what is your greatest wish?" She said she wanted to read all of the books in the world. She spoke with the purest, most innocent voice I have ever heard. Her words inspired me and I reflected on my own situation. I felt ashamed that I had lost belief in myself. I learned that the passion for learning is inside of me, and I cannot let that slip away, no matter how stressful life becomes. Now, I don't believe there will ever be something that makes me give up embracing knowledge.
OP lucy123 5 / 9 2  
Your understand is right. I felt a little sleepy when I was writting this essay, so it may sounds weird...
But thank you for helping me, I appreciate that!!
mashal 1 / 19 2  
Jennyflower81's editing removes the confusion from your first response. I really like how you've used a very simple example to demonstrate the difference between knowledge and wisdom. Good luck.

Home / Undergraduate / Notre Dame What do you never believe &difference between intelligence and wisdom