Essay for NTU SCHOLARSHIP - A value that I hold strongly to.

Jasmine855 3 / 11 5  
QN: Describe, in less than 300 words, the values and beliefs you hold strongly to. Please provide examples of how you have demonstrated these in your actions.

dedication and devotion in whatever I do

A value that I hold strongly to is dedication. I think it is imperative to be devoted in whatever I do once I have made up my mind to do it. If not, I would not even start doing it and later give up halfway. Thus, I always give careful consideration before embarking on any huge endeavours, ensuring that I would remain dedicated while doing it. When I was in secondary one, I was recommended to take Higher Chinese language (HCL) by my teacher. Knowing that extra effort must be put in to tackle the language at a higher difficulty level, I decided to take it after promising myself that I'll do my best, although I could choose to drop it if I do not do well. During the start of secondary two, I was disheartened due to my relatively low marks for HCL as compared to what I usually get for normal Chinese. Thereafter, I tried improving my marks by doing extra readings and borrowing notes for what I've missed out for HCL in secondary one. Ultimately, I'm contented that my dedication has allowed me to achieve the Best in HCL award that year.

In addition, integrity and justice are also values that I hold dear to. They were the motivation to what I did during a test in secondary two. It was a test in home economics for CA1, where I've witnessed two of my classmates cheating by hiding the textbook under their desks. Although it was a small test, I was angered by their dishonesty and injustice they did to others who studied hard for the test. Thus, I mustered up my courage to inform my teacher of their wrongdoings. I hope that they learnt their lesson regarding the importance of integrity and justice through this incident.
eiriashhar 4 / 14 4  
@Jasmine855
I think you should replace the word anger with a softer one, like displeased, but angered itself is not such a bad word itself. Anyhow, your essay lacks a concluding statement. Ending it at a phase where you are criticizing others is not a good way to end an essay. Hope it helps!
Jasmine, while dedication is a value, justice and integrity are belief systems. The essay is asking you to discuss both a value and belief system so you have to use the correct term to describe the word or words in your statement. You can actually just present one of each system in your essay if you want to make sure that you are not making a mistake in your references. In the story about the cheating classmates, you need to further illustrate your point by discussing the results of your report to your teacher. Did it really pay off for you? How did telling on your classmates improve your belief in justice and integrity? Make sure that your stories always have a beginning, middle, and end, with the possible moral lesson attached to your discussion. That sort of presentation will show the reviewer that you truly understand the prompt requirements and that the story you have chosen to share indeed applies to your situation.

Home / Undergraduate / Essay for NTU SCHOLARSHIP - A value that I hold strongly to.