"Number 13" - The impact someone has made on your life and explain how.

alexmb 2 / 3  
"Number 13"

Everyday we come across new individuals, some whom affect our lives in significant ways. A select few have the ability to impact our lives in a way

which lasts a lifetime, where without having met them our lives would have
gone down a completely different route. Seth Tyler Simpson is the strongest, better hearted man I have ever known, and will ever know. Always caught with a smile on his face, god in his heart, and a love for his family and sports he

had only the best of intentions and a high hope for his future. Looking forward
to the next and last year of middle school, Seth was anticipating the new
uprising year.
Seth participated on the Perdido Bay U-14 boy's soccer team at the time, and had played soccer as number thirteen his entire life. Not only playing

soccer, but also excelling at baseball and basketball while achieving high
scores in academics as well. Seth was all around a good guy with only the brightest future ahead of him. Every person Seth came in contact with had nothing but good things to say about him. During a visit to the orthodontist

for his braces, a cyst was recognized which would lead to the discovery and diagnosis of Leiomyosarcoma cancer within Seth's lower jaw. It was in August 2006, at the age of 13 where Seth began his battle with cancer. Leiomyosarcoma is the cancer of the smooth muscle, in which often shows up as a tumor. Four

out of 1 million people get this cancer in which it is extremely rare.
Accepting his position, Seth bravely carried his family and friends through the next couple of months keeping his head held high and no concern in his eyes. Battling the cancer over the next 10 months wouldn't be easy for Seth or his family, but as he always said "Through god, I can do anything".

A port was placed in his chest where the chemotherapy would be inserted to wrestle off the cancer cells along with several medicines he was switched on and off of over the months. Seth went under 7 major surgeries, one in which

took off the lower jaw to rid the existing cancer cells. Seth had much
support from his friends and family, where they would send videos when he was out of town and see him when he was feeling up to it when he was around. He always had a brave face on, along with the beautiful smile he had knowing that God was always there for him and he had the right plan for his life. After

battling for 10 months, Seth passed away on May 24, 2007. He left us on the
last day of school in which he would have been leaving middle school to go to high school. The town of Pensacola was heartbroken from one of our so very beloved peer and student had moved on to a better place. Seth left a mother, father, and sister along with many friends whom loved him dearly yet the

thought of him being in a better, pain free place comforted their worries and
helped get them through the troubled times. It was after 5 days, that Seth's funeral and burial took place in Perdido. I would be surprised if there was one person in the church that did not cry. His mother and father both spoke along with his best friend, Dylan Heye. Heart breaking words from the few that tugged at our hearts yet knowing Seth was in there with us up hanging in the shafts helped us through the day.

The school year following Seth's death had brought upon feelings we'd felt since the day in May, with the new soccer field made at Seth's Alma madder Jim C. Bailey Middle School named their new field the "Seth Simpson Field". A memorial was performed in which the whole school was on the field including several others from the News Journal, Seth's parents, and old best friends.

Seth was one of the best guys ever known. He taught us all to keep a positive outlook on life no matter what is happening. By keeping a smile on our faces,

our faith in God strong, and good people around us, we can do anything. Thank you Seth Tyler Simpson, we'll never forget number 13.
kate11everett - / 4  
I learned form my English teacher that you shouldn't include religious things like talking about God unless you are applying to a religious college because the person who will be reading this may not be religious
arthurwu1 2 / 3  
it's a good essay with a strong foundation, but you only talk about seth. if anything, the college will want to accept seth, not necessarily you. where are you in the story? how has seth affected you as a person? did he change any qualities about you? don't spend too much time explaining the disease. explain how he relates to you. thats all colleges will notice when theyre trying to accept you, NOT seth. otherwise, it doesn't really tell me anything about you, which all college essays are supposed to do. good luck.
Iceforest 1 / 2  
I agree with arthurwu1 on who you should talk about more. You should tell how Seth affect you, and how you changed because of him.
OP alexmb 2 / 3  
thanks so much!
FBWP12 1 / 1  
Definitely explain like the others said above, how his death and positive energy affected you.

Home / Undergraduate / "Number 13" - The impact someone has made on your life and explain how.