Numbers are intricately woven in our lives, and do not fail to fascinate us - NYU essay

sonamd28 2 / 6 1  
What can NYU offer you and vice versa.

Numbers are intricately woven in our lives, and do not fail to fascinate us. For instance, the number of light years from the sun to our planet earth, the number of copies of Dark Side of The Moon sold till date, and the number of ways Thomas Edison discovered to not make a light bulb, undoubtedly fascinates us.

And then there are the number of people who succumbed to Ebola in the past 12 months, the number of effectively functioning health posts in the Nepal, and the number of children safe from the evil grips of malnutrition. Now these are the set of figures that truly intrigue me and which has inevitably drawn me to the public health field.

I believe NYU is the ideal platform for me to accomplish my envisioned endeavors of either increasing or decreasing some of those numbers. Admittedly, there are hundreds of schools with public health majors, but I have yet to find a school that provides a 'combination of public health and other discipline' as NYU solely does. Specifically, it is the combined 'Global Public Health/Anthropology' major that entices my interests because through this major not only will I gain knowledge about diseases, their prevalence and prevention, but will also be able to correlate how a certain lifestyle, or a particular culture may influence those diseases. Plus, I've also always wanted to delve into the realm of medical anthropology and this major gives me the perfect opportunity to explore that field.

I have witnessed how a home delivery in Manang was performed without any surgical instruments, I have helped people determine whether they had a 20/20 vision holding an eye chart in an eye camp, and I have been involved in a nationally recognized survey of health posts and health workers of Nepal. All these experiences have enriched and deepened my passion in public health. Furthermore, through these insights I want to impart information inherent to countries like Nepal to the already intellectually bobbling cauldron that the Global Institute of Public Health is.

To be one of the numbers of the total freshman students with the opportunity to embark on our own intellectual journeys will also undoubtedly fascinate me.
zkc19 1 / 3  
I'm sorry but truth to be told, I was having a hard time understanding the linkage between the numbers and public health major. In fact, from your first sentence I thought you were applying to mathematics major. You did provide logic sentences in the essay, but I dnt think this logic works.

The rest parts of the essay are good.
I am of a differing opinion on the matter. I understood the relation of numbers to the way that NYU can possibly help you with your future career. What I have a problem with, is the fact that you were not able to present a concrete discussion as to how you will be able to help enhance the NYU academic and student community. The work experience that you shared is not a relevant skill that can help you enrich the NYU experience for yourself and other students. So I suggest that you revise that part to better represent those interests in the prompt.
OP sonamd28 2 / 6 1  
What I have a problem with, is the fact that you were not able to present a concrete discussion as to how you will be able to help enhance the NYU academic and student community.

How about this?:
The curiosity for the world beyond the lush hills of Kathmandu, the sense of perseverance that the people of my country[OR: the farmers, porters and guides of the hills] has instilled in me, and the motivation to move forward whether slow or fast but steadily are the traits that I will bring to NYU to enrich the colourful palette that NYU is.

Please help vangiespen.!!!
Lor2062005 1 / 2  
You are right numbers are involved in everything we do on a daily basis even when we are not aware of it.
zeeconomist 6 / 19 4  
The essay needs more focus on what you can contribute. I'm applying here as well and I dedicated about one paragraph to how I see myself adding flavor to NYU's student body. All the best!
surfbort 3 / 4 1  
Your correlation between numbers and your intended major seems a little contrived, to be honest. You need more of a human touch to you essay; you might get more out of describing your experiences in Nepal, for instance, and portraying how those times made you feel.

Home / Undergraduate / Numbers are intricately woven in our lives, and do not fail to fascinate us - NYU essay