NUS application Essay- Friends with the WRONG CROWD?

niz1128 2 / 3  
I've written another essay for my NUS application, which I am more comfortable with because I think it answers the question a tad bit better.

Please tell me what you think!

[b]You may discuss a special talent, a personal experience or an activity that you have been involved in that is relevant to the course you are applying for admission/b]

"Report to the discipline room now," I ordered as I glared at the latecomer who in return, gave me an offensive look and strut off arrogantly. I sighed. By then, I, a prefect, was used to dealing with troubled teens that were reluctant to follow school rules. Being a top student with a squeaky clean image, I never understood why these kids were spiraling downhill, choosing to regularly skip school and getting involved with drugs and alcohol, all while neglecting their education but I could not care less about them.

Things changed when I joined the girl's basketball team. I was a rather unconventional addition to the group as it was mostly made of kids who undervalued their studies and devoted most of their time to the sport. At first, I felt out of place and intimidated. Yet, over the months of training together as a team, we got to know one another better. I befriended them and realized that despite their regular mishaps with the rules, they had great personalities. I came to find out how facing family issues, relationship drama or problems in studies had made growing up more difficult, causing most of them to lose their way. The team was a mirror image of the other troubled teens. After having a better understanding of their circumstances, I stopped judging and started to care. Since then, my job as a prefect got easier as I learnt that by being a friend instead of a form of authority, I received more respect and co-operation. Best of all, I actually forged incredible friendships with kids that I once shamelessly labeled as 'out-of-control'.

I decided that I want to work with children or teens in the future, to guide and help them reach their fullest potential be it in their studies, personalities or talents as their mentor, confidante, support system and friend. Thus, I think that a major in psychology, specifically developmental psychology will help me achieve my goal. "I believe the children are our future, teach them and let them lead the way."-Whitney Houston.
Pahan 1 / 1,906 553  
By then, I, a prefect, was used to dealing with troubled teens that were reluctant to follow school rules.

By then, I was a prefect who used to deal with troubled teens who were reluctant to follow school rules and regulations.
I like the way you have answered this prompt. It sounds pretty genuine and it is how it should be. Lots of students just make statements, but you have talked through your experiences. Good job!

Home / Undergraduate / NUS application Essay- Friends with the WRONG CROWD?