NYC a multi-faceted phenomenon/"Silk Road Market"; NYU Sup-short answers

jaykay 1 / -  
Any and all pieces of advice will be appreciated! Thank you!

NYU's global network provides students with hundreds of academic areas of interest for students to cultivate their intellectual curiosity and to help achieve their career goals. Whether you are entirely undecided about your academic plans or you have a definitive program of study in mind, what are your own academic interests? Feel free to share any thoughts on any particular programs or how you might explore those interests at NYU on any of our campuses. (1500 characters)

"The City that never sleeps." NYC is a multi-faceted phenomenon. In the daytime, businessmen briskly walk through the streets, while when the sun goes down, the darkness elicits the musical, the artistic, the flamboyant, and the plain ol' weird. Similarly, in the morning, I am Jae, while when the hour hand passes 5, I am Jay. In the morning, I want to study communication, philosophy, and social interactions between humans. Sitting at my desk at 10:00 PM, I imagine myself filming documentaries in North Korea about international affairs. Like my habit of switching names, my academic plans also fluctuate: Monday, business sounds interesting, Tuesday, what about philosophy? Wednesday, communications is vital.., Thursday, journalism? Friday, yeah, business is where I should be. But only one city can handle my mercurial nature, and furthermore, only one school: NYU. The Stern School of Business would be a starting point for my career, where I would be exposed to the finances, marketing, and economic policy, followed by the International Study Program, where I could go anywhere in the world, to further satiate my hunger for knowledge. Or, I could switch to CAS, to pursue journalism, and take a different turn in my life. But whatever I choose, I know that NYU will always be there to support my spontaneous nature, and that is the kind of school that I want to help me build my foundation and prepare me to be a world class citizen.

What intrigues you? Tell us about one work of art, scientific achievement, piece of literature, method of communication, or place in the world (a film, book, performance, website, event, location, etc.), and explain its significance to you.(1500 characters)

I got my black "I <3 BJ" shirt for 16˘ at Beijing's "Silk Road Market" only a year and a half ago. It's two sizes small for me now, but I still keep it tucked in my "Expensive T-shirts" drawer in my dresser. I traveled to Beijing during the summer of my sophomore year for a five week program at SYA, and those five weeks hold some of my most exciting, horrid, and academically stimulating memories. I witnessed street food vendors that did not tell what kind of meat they were selling(I tried all of their foods), scorpions on skewers(which I did eat), and illegal taxis(which I got into by accident) as well as men and women of all ages urinating in the streets (which I did not do!). But aside from the "weirder" experiences, Beijing gave me the opportunity to see and immerse myself into a culture that I initially thought of as repulsive. But in the end, the culture was irresistibly appealing. I learned enough Chinese to survive one weekend in Beijing (which is a lot, trust me), and finally discovered what was in those street hamburgers. Beijing was my first time abroad without my parents to guide me, and I must say that I discovered more than I would have ever thought possible. Beijing also most importantly paved the way to my obsession with traveling and people-watching. That is why I view NYU as the perfect school for me; with its programs all around the globe, I will be able to satiate my obsession while still receiving the top education that NYU has to offer.
nayelojello 5 / 37 2  
for the second part of your supplement you should describe how the new country affected you. not just what beijing looked like.

Home / Undergraduate / NYC a multi-faceted phenomenon/"Silk Road Market"; NYU Sup-short answers