NYU Short Answers - O. Henry, Comparative Lit, The Writes of a Poet, and Poem

SkittleRose 4 / 15  
Thank you! I will comment back if you leave me a link :]

If you had the opportunity to spend one day in New York City with a famous New Yorker, who would it be and what would you do? (Your New Yorker can be anyone -past or present, fictional or nonfictional - who is commonly associated with New York City; they do not necessarily have to have been born and raised in New York.)

If given the opportunity to spend a day in New York City with O. Henry, I would spend the day conversing with him in Central Park about his inspiration for his ironic short stories, specifically The Gift of the Magi, because of its theme of unconditional love. I would show him a portfolio of my writing and ask him for advice on how to make my writing poignant but thoughtful, and ask him about his early days as a writer. I would ask about what specifically inspires him to keep writing.

Please tell us what led you to select your anticipated academic program and/or NYU school/college, and what interests you most about your intended discipline.

Ever since I could read, I have been intrigued by how language helps people to communicate with each other. As a young girl, I taught myself Braille and Sign Language, wanting to explore language beyond a verbal level. During high school, I began reading in Latin. I plan to major in Comparative Literature because I enjoy seeing how one language influences another, reminding me that all feelings and issues are universal.

In the year 2050, a movie is being made of your life. Please tell us the name of your movie and briefly summarize the story line.

In the year 2050, my autobiographical movie would be entitled The Writes of a Poet. The story line would trace my progression as a writer-from the day I wrote my first haiku in first grade to the day my seventh novel is published at age 50. It will document all feelings I have towards writing including the joy of inspiration and the frustration of writer's block. The ending will emphasize that despite the difficulties, I have truly found a home in my words.

Write a haiku, limerick, or short (eight lines or less) poem that best represents you.

She is like a lion, fierce in every way.
She is the hunter of all things beautiful.
She seizes them and molds them into
Her own creations.
Her lion-rage is born of passion.
She is persistent in her movement-
Her imagination is unconfined.
Devataa 5 / 8  
For the first response, you could ask a witty question also to captivate adcom's attention. No offense, these are very good questions and very honest, but they seem very generic.

Maybe ask him: What his stay in texas was like, and how he associated HIMself with New York City to see if you two share common grounds. - blah I dunno just a suggestion.
Yes, that first one should do someting to entertain the reader, because you are talking about writing. If you quote Henry, that might be nice, but you also have to give some sort of clever explanation.

...how one style of language influences another...----is that better or not? I'm not sure...

seventh novel is published at age 50.

Only 7 novels in 384 months? I bet you can write at least 10 !!

:-)

These are very impressive.

Home / Undergraduate / NYU Short Answers - O. Henry, Comparative Lit, The Writes of a Poet, and Poem