NYU application short answers (cutting the things I wrote down)

skim 2 / 12  
It's taking me a while to cut down the things I wrote. I feel like I should write an essay not short answers... so yeah, it took me a while to shorten/edit. But I hope you guys could make my essays even better ! :) Thanks for helping!

1) Describe a trait or characteristic that has been passed along to you by your family. Tell us why you like or dislike this aspect of yourself. (500 or less characters)

One of the reasons I could be actively engaged in numerous clubs is due to the leadership skills I inherited from my parents. Just like my parents, who both were president of their class in high school and college, I enjoy leading people, especially under certain goals to achieve. For instance, I organized a club that helps new students adjust well to the school. Although, being a leader always requires full responsibilities, it feels worth trying after all and I learn throughout the experience. (500/500)

2) You have been selected to sing in a talent show. What song would you choose? Why?

The song starts to play and I recall the feeling I had when I first heard this song: positivity and uplift coming from the great tune. Reluctant and shy to sing in front of many people, I try to be bold and strong just like the song says. 'You Gotta Be' by Des'ree has always been inspirational. It tells the truth: if you want to live a successful life, you gotta be wise, strong, challenging and loving. I wish I could live a life like this song: 'try and keep your head up to the sky.' Carpe diem! (500/500)

3) Please tell us what led you to select your anticipated academic program and/or NYU school/college, and what interests you most about your intended discipline.

Although considering international relations or journalism as a possible future major, I am applying to NYU as an undecided. I have decided not to bind myself for one major before experiencing numerous subjects I have yet to learn. I am now on the verge of entering a new world and I am expecting lots of things that I have not experienced in the world I am in now. Especially at NYU, I can see myself not only enjoying the city but also learning from diversity, figuring out what I truly like to do. (500/500)

4) New York City is an essential element of academic and cultural life at NYU. If you could engage in an activity or start a club or service organization at NYU, what would it be and how would you envision it impacting the larger community?

Considering my goal of becoming an international journalist, I would first join Journal of Politics and International Affairs. As an immigrant who experienced both Asian and American culture, I can see myself delivering the news with different points of view to people and sharing life with them. My trilingual skills and an effort to approach a subject in a thoughtful manner with various possible aspects will harmonize with the diverse culture of NYU and the city to make a great journalist. (495/500)

5) In the space provided below, please elaborate on one of your activities (extracurricular, personal activities, or work experience)(150 words or fewer).

I would never forget the moment when the donor answered my question, "I wonder why so many people donate their blood voluntarily. Doesn't it hurt? Why would you do it regularly?" She said, "Let me ask you a question. Would you bear a little pain for a short while and save someone's life or would you, to avoid a little pain of a needle, let someone suffer from a lack of blood?" Her reply caught me off guard. Then, I learned an important life lesson, which nobody could teach but I had to realize by myself: An individual's minimal sacrifice could be magnified to help others. I finally realized the true definition of what serving others means. Aristotle once said, "What is the essence of life? To serve others and to do good." Three years of volunteering at American Red Cross always was and will be worthy in my life. (150/150)
n00bl3t 3 / 30  
One of the reasons I am actively engaged in numerous clubs because I, like my parents, have leadership skills. Just likeMy parents who bothwere both class presidents in high school and college. Following in their footsteps, I too enjoy leading people who need guidance. For example, I organized a club that helps new students adjust well to the school. Although, being a leader always requires fullmany responsibilities, it is worth doing, after all and I learn throughout the experience.

It might have lost its meaning. But you decide, the original sounded a little awkward so I tried to make it flow more.

"The song starts to play and I recall the feeling I had when I first heard this song: positivity and uplift coming from the great tune. Reluctant and shy to sing in front of many people, I try to be bold and strong just like the song says. 'You Gotta Be' by Des'ree has always been inspirational. It tells the truth: if you want to live a successful life, you gotta be wise, strong, challenging and loving. I wish I could live a life like this song: 'try and keep your head up to the sky.' Carpe diem! "

I would take out the last phrase. Otherwise this answer is really well written.
OP skim 2 / 12  
Thank you so much!
Your comment helped me alot ! :)

hope more people could read mine and help me on editing it :D
christineg711 2 / 23  
Although I am considering international relations or journalism as a possible future major, I am applying to NYU as an undecided. I have decided not to bind myself for one major before experiencing numerous subjects I have yet to learn. I am now on the verge of entering a new world and I am expectinganticipating? lots of things that I have not experienced in the world I am in now. Especially at NYU, I can see myself not only enjoying the city but also learning from diversity, figuring out what I truly like to do.

Your fifth answer is really good!
OP skim 2 / 12  
Thank you, christine ! :)
Good to hear that fifth was is good... I was worried about that one.

Can anyone help me with other ones?
I need people to go over mines before I submit,
I would really appreciate for helping! :)
Just like my parents, both of whom were presidents of their high school classes and college, I enjoy leading people -- especially under when we have specific goals to achieve. For instance, I organized a club that helps new students adjust well to the school. Although being a leader is full of responsibilities, I learn about myself and others throughout the experience.

My trilingual skills and my willingness to approach each subject in a thoughtful manner with various possible aspects will harmonize with the diverse culture of NYU and the city to make a great journalist.

Yes, great job! I'm excited for you. Good luck in school...
OP skim 2 / 12  
Thank you so much Mr.Kevin! :)

I was worried about the second one you corrected. Glad I finally
got it corrected !
Last question about this before I submit, do you thing others are okay
besides those two?

P.S Anyone who could correct mine, I would appreciate ! I really want as many people as possible to look over mine before I submit =)

Home / Undergraduate / NYU application short answers (cutting the things I wrote down)