Nyu, choose a famous new yorker, write a poem, movie, why selected major, summer

davidgoes 5 / 13  
500 characters each
If you had the opportunity to spend one day in New York City with a famous New Yorker, who would it be and what would you do? (Your New Yorker can be anyone -past or present, fictional or nonfictional - who is commonly associated with New York City; they do not necessarily have to have been born and raised in New York.)

Emeril Lagasse

I would spend a day with the distinguished chef, Emeril Lagasse on his show "Emeril Live". With my love for cooking, I would assist him in creating some of his most famous entrées, and discuss with him the necessary mentality to become successful in life. In taking part cooking with him, I would be able to witness his ingenuity, dexterity, and diligence on a first hand basis. Acquiring Lagasse's recipe for success would provide me with insight towards furthering my own endeavors.

Write a haiku, limerick, or short (eight lines or less) poem that best represents you.
I am a wagyū
Bred in Kobe, Japan
Saved for the Kings
And worth every cent
I am the fillet mignon
The best cut
Marbled to perfection
Limited in supply

In the year 2050, a movie is being made of your life. Please tell us the name of your movie and briefly summarize the story line.

Breaking Established Paths

David Go is a leading cardio-surgeon at the New York Presbyterian Hospital. Everything leading up to this point in his life was seemingly perfect, until he meets an old and beaten Emeril Lagasse in the emergency room. In a meeting by chance, David meets his childhood hero, once a famous New York chef, now a retired and sick homeless. Through this encounter, David acknowledges his repressed childhood dreams of becoming a chef. Together they help each other to find their niche in life again through cooking with new hopes and aspirations in pursuit of happiness.

Please tell us what led you to select your anticipated academic program and/or NYU school/college, and what interests you most about your intended discipline.

Becoming a doctor has been my aspiration since I was six, not by impulse or influence; rather due to the time I spent in hospitals during my father's bouts in and out of the hospital. As the doctors treated my father, I was not instilled with fear, but inspiration from seeing their devotion towards my father. The road to becoming a successful doctor will be long and arduous, but I will not waver. NYU's Pre-Medical program will be my opportunity to achieve my ambitions of becoming a doctor.

In addition to any work experience that you listed on your application, please tell us how you spent your most recent summer vacation.

Having never left California, the experience of exploring the beaches and streets of Oahu was similar to experiencing a new world. For two weeks I traveled with my high school baseball team playing local high school teams by day and hitting the town by night. It was simply paradise, not only because of the weather and beaches, but also because of the food I experienced. I relished every new type of cuisine I experienced, eating everything and anything I came across.
autogunny 3 / 72  
Famous person:
I like it.. it is good you didn't you use a general person such as Franklin Delano Roosevelt(who is a native of New York).

With my love for cooking, I would assist

It's not with your love you assist. Maybe say "With my cooking skills, I would"

Poem:
Nice job incorporating cooking terms in there.

Movie:
Emeril again? But I like the story line. Your story makes you sound like you followed being a doctor because of outside influences.

Summer:

was similar to experiencing a new world

was bizzare.

hitting the town

don't use common speech. What did you do at town? You could have done anything.
collegecrazy 3 / 8  
NYU's Pre-Medical program will be my opportunity to achieve my ambitions of becoming a doctor.

What makes NYU stick out to you? What does NYU offer that other universities do not?
citysparrow27 - / 5  
very good! as a whole I think it's great. just a few little problems:

for the famous new yorker answer, it would be " in taking part in
cooking with him. or, you could also just say "while cooking with him".

for your poem, it's filet mignon

i really like the story line of your movie, just one correction, "...once a famous New York chef, now retired, sick, and homeless.

other than that it's superb, good luck!
starkizzlers 3 / 10  
hey, I'm applying to nyu too! :D

I really like how you incorporated your desire to cook into everything, and seeing as how you have many responses, I'm sure all the little nitpicky things and grammar and punctuation have already been edited. I think you did a great job :D Good luck !

If anyone has spare time, any suggestions/criticism on my nyu essays would be greatly appreciated. :D

Home / Undergraduate / Nyu, choose a famous new yorker, write a poem, movie, why selected major, summer