NYU Supplement: Famous New Yorker, Poem, 2050 Movie, and Program Choice

gber371 3 / 8  
Hey everyone! I'm applying to NYU as a transfer student and need some advice on the supplement. There are 4 sections that are 500 characters each, and I'm not entirely confident about what I have so far. I would sincerely appreciate any help! Thanks!

If you had the opportunity to spend one day in New York City with a famous New Yorker, who would it be and what would you do? (Your New Yorker can be anyone -past or present, fictional or nonfictional - who is commonly associated with New York City; they do not necessarily have to have been born and raised in New York.)

Charlie Kaufman is certainly one of the most original writers and filmmakers in existence, exploring the mind and the unflinching complexities of life. I would want him to show me his version of New York-the city through his unique set of eyes. We would go to his spots and I would ask him to comment on each. I would love for him to show me any locations from which he draws inspiration. In his favorite restaurant, our similar personalities would mesh in conversation about life and filmmaking.

Write a haiku, limerick, or short (eight lines or less) poem that best represents you.

A shivering, winter night.
Darkness covers all.
The path is not clear,
And the way cannot be found.
Yet a figure approaches,
A luminous glimmer.
Silently he emerges,
Flashlight in hand.

In the year 2050, a movie is being made of your life. Please tell us the name of your movie and briefly summarize the story line.

The Incredible, Edible Celluloid-In the year 2020 it is discovered that, when combined with a mysterious chemical, film is not only edible, but overwhelmingly delicious. Much like a fine wine, the older the film, the better the taste. Even film preservation societies are selling their valuable shares. A group of filmmakers, headed by (me), detests such a delicacy and organizes a system for the protection of these films. Will they stop the consumption, or will one taste get them hooked?

Please tell us what led you to select your anticipated academic program and/or NYU school/college, and what interests you most about your intended discipline.

I have always been a very visual learner. Concepts make much more sense to me if I am able to see them applied, instead of just written. More importantly, I am able to comprehend such concepts better if I, personally, am granted the ability to apply them. As a result, film has become my passion and is a perfect program for me. After receiving a thorough education in film history and theory, the student is prompted and encouraged to put that knowledge into practice, in their own unique way.
and the unflinching complexities of life.--- I don't think the complexities are unflinching. Maybe he was unflinching despite the complexities.

That poem is gripping, very good reading. However, it does not amount to much. It shows a scene, like a haiku. I would get rid of the word "Yet" and add another line or 2 to make it amount to something meaningful.. perhaps related to your career.

Much like a fine wine, the older the film, the better the taste. --- I don't know if this is true!1 Sometimes old films are like... um... wine with really bad dialogue and cheesy plot. hahahahahahaha

Nice job, you are impressive...

oh, one more thing:
I have always been a very visual learner.--- very almost always weakens writing, because very can be expressed in more sophisticated ways. Also, the learning "types" are visual, haptic, and verbal/auditory, so "very" is unnecessary.. like saying, I am very left handed.

Thanks for the wise feedback I saw you give in other threads to our essayists.
OP gber371 3 / 8  

Hahahahahah!!! That's great and so true :).

Thank you so much for all your suggestions. They make a lot of sense. You have been so helpful, and you give great advice on every essay. I'll definitely make those changes.

Sure thing! It's just nice to give something back.

Thanks again!

Home / Undergraduate / NYU Supplement: Famous New Yorker, Poem, 2050 Movie, and Program Choice