nyu supplement - gatsby and summer

owls 8 / 33  
If you had the opportunity to spend one day in New York City with a famous New Yorker, who would it be and what would you do?

"Hey there, Jay Gatsby. Do you have a moment? Do you have a day? Because I want to spend that day with you and talk with you and maybe watch for the green light together. You've got so much hope, enough to fill your great big mansion and half of New York City, too. You make me curious, Jay Gatsby. I wonder about you. What do you say? Can we get lunch? Talk about what makes you tick? I want to see your smile - I've heard fantastic things about it. Yeah, I want your smile to choose me. You've got a wonderful imagination, Gatsby. Share it with me. Talk with me. Do you have a moment? Do you have a day?"

Please tell us how you spent your most recent summer vacation. (500 characters)

I've never been one for lazy summers. I'd like to stay at home and sleep until noon, but there's too much else to do. Take last summer. Sure, I wanted to sleep, but I wanted to do art more and so, that's what I did. I spent a month at the MICA Pre-College program, waking at the crack of dawn for classes. Tiring, but worth it. I met new people, got new perspectives, improved my skills. I filled up the last of my summer working as a counselor at Camp St. Vincent, providing kids with sandwiches, smiles and fun when they didn't have much else in their lives. I'll sleep some other time, but not in the summer.

ORRRRR

It must be the warm air, for it's easy to sleep away a summer, under cool sheets with the windows open and on towels as waves hit the shore. And I like sleep a lot, don't get me wrong; I like the droopy eyelids, the sun on my back. But I'd take the smell of oil paints and the flick of a brush on a canvas over that any day, a pencil in my hand instead of a pillow under my head. I have my whole life for sleep, yet I had only a summer for MICA Pre-College. I didn't get much rest, but I got experience, inspiration, enjoyment as I made art in the MICA studios. I'll sleep when I'm dead. There's painting to be done now.
tiliu 2 / 7  
First Question:
I like your approach, maybe when you mention the green light, you can be like, "as we watch for the green light you can tell me about her, the love of your life" or something. Just a suggestion.

Second Question:
I definitely think you should do your second option/essay. Not only is it descriptive, it shows you are dedicated to art without flaunting that you went to/participated in all these programs. When you talk about all the programs you have participated in (to show your worthiness) you can't make it obvious, it has to be in the passing, and you most definitely did that in the second option.
OP owls 8 / 33  
loveeed all of your suggestions! and i'm glad the second one was an improvement!
luminousx 3 / 32  
I like your answer to the first question and the way you worded it, especially how you ended with the questions.

I'd choose your second one:

And I like to sleep a lot, don't get me wrong; I like the droopy eyelids, the sun on my back.

Just a minor correction, I dont like starting a sentence with "and," but you don't have to take my suggestion!The rest of the response is good, I especially like your last two sentences.

Please read mine!
fuschiafleur - / 9  
The second one was more exciting to read, yes, but I feel like I want to know more about what you learned at MICA studios. I feel like the focus was to shifted onto you loving art to death, and not caring about sleep. I heard NYU is particular when it comes to answering exactly what they ask of you, and not going off on a tangent which I think you might be doing. Sorry for such negativity, I actually really liked it. You should check mine out, I've just posted.
OP owls 8 / 33  
Eh, I mean, I personally think NYU will get it. They asked what I did over the summer and I answered - I choose art over a lazy summer because I love art. I told about MICA, but I focused more on why than what, which is still answering the question.

Home / Undergraduate / nyu supplement - gatsby and summer