NYU supplement "What intrigues you?"- street art

awakemysoul 3 / 8 1  
Any criticism/help would be greatly appreciated!! :) also what i should add/take out?

This is the prompt: What intrigues you? Tell us about one work of art, scientific achievement, piece of literature, method of communication, or place in the world (a film, book, performance, website, event, location, etc.), and explain its significance to you.

After having taken many pictures of this form of art, interviewing artists when they wouldn't run away and trying to understand the history of it for a project, I started to realize that street art has become one of the most powerful methods of communication in our society. This form of art is very interesting in the way that everyone not only can see it, but in fact has to see it, as it is outside and in front of people's eyes. Therefore, anyone and everyone can be introduced to and influenced by art without ever actually going into a museum or an art gallery, which fascinates me very much.

I believe this form of art is in fact a method of communication because by writing, drawing, painting or even taping things, artists are not only expressing their thoughts and ideas, but equally letting these thoughts and ideas be shared by everyone, as they are public. I value this method of communication because it is this type of art that I have always been most fond of- that of Basquiat or Banksy, as it is not only a modern form of art but it also takes great influence from prehistoric art, such as from for example right next to where my parents grew up: the Lascaux Cave in France.

Now, whenever I see street art, and especially when it's done by someone famous, it makes me somewhat happy because I understand the intention of this person and the reason why he decided to expose his art in the street as opposed to inside an art gallery.
zdv 12 / 68 2  
actually going into a museum or an art gallery, which fascinates me very much. - i am not sure which of these you are trying to say fascinates you, the museums or the fact. be precise.

but equally letting these thoughts and ideas be shared WITH everyone, as they are public.
great essay. you explain why this feels street art seems right to you. i would suggest you put in there a small experience you had too. like maybe when you watched a particular art, you realized something. that would give the essay a personal touch as opposed to just defending why you like street art.

Home / Undergraduate / NYU supplement "What intrigues you?"- street art